Specific Replacement iOS Calendar App Question

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I wish it could display the date on its icon like the default Calendar app can.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
D, you took the words right out of my mouth......(hmmm..didn't Meatloaf say that too?:p LOL) that's one and only thing I'd like to see this app have in future updates:)

No doubt. ;) ... I have it on my initial home screen in lieu of the default Calendar app, but it would look better with a numbered date. Anyway, I'm enjoying the app a lot.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
No doubt. ;) ... I have it on my initial home screen in lieu of the default Calendar app, but it would look better with a numbered date. Anyway, I'm enjoying the app a lot.

same here-it's earned the front page on my phone too:D enjoy away, as I will too! Have a great night:)

Pink-a-licious 4S doin' the TapAtalk !!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I wish it could display the date on its icon like the default Calendar app can.

Really, for what I use it for, that is the ONLY deficiency that I see. Perhaps it uses/requires an API that Apple has not made available... but it sure would be nice.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Really, for what I use it for, that is the ONLY deficiency that I see. Perhaps it uses/requires an API that Apple has not made available... but it sure would be nice.

It must be available because not too long ago, I had WeekCal and that has the option to either have the date badge OR the number of appts for that day on the icon itself showing in the top right circle. SO I wonder if the dev just didn't put it in ??

I plan on sending a nice email to the dev anyway on how much I like this app (yes, I do corny things like that lol) and within it I'm going to suggest for a future update if they could either have the icon reflect the day like the native cal does, OR have the badge to do so :)

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't want the date as a badge, I'd much prefer the icon changed. For a badge I like how Calendars shows how many appointments and/or tasks (though the badge only updates when you open the app which is not good)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It must be available because not too long ago, I had WeekCal and that has the option to either have the date badge OR the number of appts for that day on the icon itself showing in the top right circle. SO I wonder if the dev just didn't put it in ??

I plan on sending a nice email to the dev anyway on how much I like this app (yes, I do corny things like that lol) and within it I'm going to suggest for a future update if they could either have the icon reflect the day like the native cal does, OR have the badge to do so :)

It’s not the same thing... it uses the badging process to put the date in the badge bubble... but I’d prefer the date to appear large like on the Apple calendar app.

It would be great to have it configurable. The OS X version has the date on the toolbar icon but you can configure it to show DATE only; DATE and MONTH or DATE and DAY.

Maybe I’ll email them, as well.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

You may be right about the API requirement, my friend. Still, it's a very good app either way...:)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
You may be right about the API requirement, my friend. Still, it's a very good app either way...:)

I just got a twitter response from Flexbits confirming that it’s a protected API issue. That’s the reason WeekCal had to use the badge API to put the date on their icon. IMHO, that just looks cheesy.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I just got a twitter response from Flexbits confirming that it?s a protected API issue. That?s the reason WeekCal had to use the badge API to put the date on their icon. IMHO, that just looks cheesy.

Well that explains it. Thank you for the update, Fausty82. It is appreciated ..:D

seashell93

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I too am enjoying Fantastical!! Its quick and so far extremely accurate when typing in what normally takes a few separate clicks to setup. I loved Week Cal, but this has now replaced it!! ;)

I read yesterday too, that this app has surpassed Angry Birds Star Wars in the number of downloads first few days!!! :D

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand the fascination with Week Cal... I think it's hideous, and much prefer Calendars look and feel.
One thing I read in the comments about Fantastical here in the review on iMore is that Fantastical doesn't have its own notifications but rather uses the native cal. This is a bit of a letdown to replace the built-in calendar (much like was mentioned above). I have my native cal notifications disabled because Calendars has its own. Thought maybe this would replace that but guess I'll continue to need both until notifications are enabled for Fantastical. If I get a notification, I'd like it to go to Fantastical if that's what I'm using, rather than the native calendar.

seashell93

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand the fascination with Week Cal... I think it's hideous, and much prefer Calendars look and feel.
One thing I read in the comments about Fantastical here in the review on iMore is that Fantastical doesn't have its own notifications but rather uses the native cal. This is a bit of a letdown to replace the built-in calendar (much like was mentioned above). I have my native cal notifications disabled because Calendars has its own. Thought maybe this would replace that but guess I'll continue to need both until notifications are enabled for Fantastical. If I get a notification, I'd like it to go to Fantastical if that's what I'm using, rather than the native calendar.

I use my calendar so much during the day, that not having notifications doesn't bother me. I view it several times and have a good feel for my day.

Color coding on Week Cal made it 'more fun' to look at and the agenda view was a huge bonus for me.

Now with Fantastical, I love the week view and ease of switching to the month view. The color scheme is great and it's ease of entering appts, speed and overall display have made this app replace Week Cal on my homescreen! :). And it's nice to have an app on my homescreen now without a red badge! lol

dbschkn

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I use NeverLate for mobile scheduling. I use a few calendars (Gmail, Exchange) for different categories of events and I like that NeverLate integrates all of them. My favorite feature is that contacts relevant for the event don't have to be in my addressbook. They can also be on LinkedIn or in the notes of the event. NeverLate recognizes names and searches for contact data in all available sources. Another big advantage is that I can use my terms for locations. For instance I have shortcuts for every location I visit frequently. After using NeverLate for a few weeks it had learned almost all of these locations and associated them with the terms I use for them. This saves me a lot of time when entering the event details into my calendar. It's a small company and the product is fairly new. Every week they keep adding functionality. I give them feedback once in a while to make sure, my requirements are met.

seashell93

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Update: while I love Fantastical and also Week Cal...I broke down and picked up miCal today. Love the layout and many views, weather incorporated on dashboard is a great plus and I'm trying out the tasks addon feature (free for a week) and its really doing what I had wanted as far as tasks on my calendar screen!

I will probably switch between this and Fantastical periodically, but for now with my work needs atm, miCal is a keeper!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711