Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,183 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.0.1

Default Best Cloud to transfer Documents? Help Please

I will be getting my first iPad on Saturday, and was wondering what was the best Cloud app.

What I want to be able to do is to take a document from work, place it in the cloud and be able to read/edit/save on my iPad or iPhone or laptop at home.

I don't need something to sync everything on my desktop at work or laptop at home. I just need to be able to place the documents "there" and retrieve them later from a different device.

Does this make sense?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
    Overcame my Crackberry addiction by realizing that my device just had to work. If iPhone/iPad owners are sheep, then I just joined the flock.

iPhone 4S, iPad 3 32G

@wackostu on Twitter
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Default Re: Best Cloud to transfer Documents? Help Please

There are so many to choose from today, and all of them offer the same services with free basic plans. Dropbox and Box.com are both frequently written into other apps so that you have easy access from your iOS device. Google Drive is another good option.
    Thanked by:
    RWWackostu (11-12-2012)
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,183 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    There are so many to choose from today, and all of them offer the same services with free basic plans. Dropbox and Box.com are both frequently written into other apps so that you have easy access from your iOS device. Google Drive is another good option.
    Alli,

Do the two you listed allow me to retrieve a document with my iPad, edit it, save it back to the cloud then pull it back in at work in the AM? Sorry for all the noob questions about this, but I am trying to get away from not being able to finish something because my thumb drive it sitting on my desk at work.
    Overcame my Crackberry addiction by realizing that my device just had to work. If iPhone/iPad owners are sheep, then I just joined the flock.

iPhone 4S, iPad 3 32G

@wackostu on Twitter
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Multiple

I prefer Dropbox. I can sync up folders from certain folders at work, and from certain folders from home, from my iPhone or my iPad.
    And access them just like another drive on the computer once the desktop app is installed. I also can sever the sync links to any one system from ANY computer, simply by signing on via the web, and canceling the approval for the particular system that I do not want to extend access to any longer. I can share files with people, by sending them a link to the one file, or send then a link to a public folder (if we are working on a project and many files are being utilized.)
    Thanked by:
    RWWackostu (11-12-2012)
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,183 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.0.1

Anyone taken a look at Cubby? I just came across it while I was researching.

iPhone 4S, iPad 3 32G

@wackostu on Twitter
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

There are apps that will allow you to do this with all three that I mentioned. I've been using Docs 2 Go forever, and it allows me to access my documents in Dropbox and Google. (I think Box as well, although I can't remember.)

Quote Originally Posted by RWWackostu View Post
    Alli,

Do the two you listed allow me to retrieve a document with my iPad, edit it, save it back to the cloud then pull it back in at work in the AM? Sorry for all the noob questions about this, but I am trying to get away from not being able to finish something because my thumb drive it sitting on my desk at work.
    Thanked by:
    RWWackostu (11-12-2012)
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

I vote dropbox. It works pretty well for me.

Global Posts
    15,672 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

I use Google Cloud base for all my doc's

I use Google drive on iOS

and then access file via web through gmail.
    John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com