What will happen to my maps

Vanti

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I was reading up on the whole dumping of google maps from ios and came across an article written in may stating that apple had a little over a year left on their contract with google for their backend support. Now lets say that Apples contract expires on may 2013. What does that mean for people such as myself who are still on ios5? Will my maps app simply stop working? Will i then be forced to update to ios6? Or will my map app still continue to function?

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site
I was reading up on the whole dumping of google maps from ios and came across an article written in may stating that apple had a little over a year left on their contract with google for their backend support. Now lets say that Apples contract expires on may 2013. What does that mean for people such as myself who are still on ios5? Will my maps app simply stop working? Will i then be forced to update to ios6? Or will my map app still continue to function?

Probably nothing will happen. Google wants people to use their maps so they can continue to sell the sponsored POIs. Apple however, has the ability to kill apps over the air. I suspect they won't do that unless there's something in their contract that makes them do so. Exact terms of the contract have never been revealed, so we'll never know for sure.

Vanti

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Probably nothing will happen. Google wants people to use their maps so they can continue to sell the sponsored POIs. Apple however, has the ability to kill apps over the air. I suspect they won't do that unless there's something in their contract that makes them do so. Exact terms of the contract have never been revealed, so we'll never know for sure.

I would assume though that apple paid google in order for them to use their data so once that contract expires doesn't that mean they will have to "kill over the air" ?

tekjunkie28

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
It's more likely that Apple paid Google to use the maps app. Not necessarily the data bc it just connects to Google servers and just like on android. Apple just paying for the lisence to use it. I don't think they will kill it over the air. If they did then there would be good reason or legal reasons.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2