Am I the only person that actually like the new Maps?

miah84

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
I used the maps app once on my way home from work (about a 30 minute drive) just to try it. The turn by turn worked perfectly. The only issue was it would show businesses on the map that do not exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lightingguy55

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
It's very fast. It loads fast, the interface is fast and the navigation is good. It finally found out that my home is not 5 towns and 5 miles away.

So I started using it again, to and from work to see traffic. That seems to work OK as well.

Then I tried today doing a "fake" (not needed) navigation to a business and it sent me to the wrong place. This was just a test. I knew where the business was located and Apple doesn't. Yes I reported it.

And that's the rub. It's either/or. I can't really trust maps to get me somewhere I've never been so back to MotionX GPS.

And yes, Apple should allow you to choose the default map app. At least until the general consensus is that their map app works nearly perfectly. It's far from that, IMO.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The data of the Australian Gazetteer isn't wrong - Apple misinterpreted their data.

The gazetteer had two different coordinate data points with the same name... chances are, both were available to select when the particular place name was searched, and people, being what they are, blindly selected the first one without bothering to verify before departing, and selected the wrong one. I have encountered similar issues on Gamin devices, and even Google Maps where two different sets of coordinates had the same Geographic place names. No map is immune to the issue. Bottom line - it's fixed now.

My $0.02 - going on a trip using ANY electronic map - repeat ANY electronic map - to a place you are not familiar with without verifying the electronic map instructions is a potential invitation for disaster. Yeah, I do practice that -- I check, then double check.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Apple is now blaming some of the Australian mapping info they got - apparently you can't have two locations with the same name or you're liable to be sent to the wrong (and potentially desolate and dangerous) one.

Great. I guess Apple will next insist that every location that has another namesake will have to compete to keep it's name. That's so less inconvenient (and cheaper ) than waiting for Apple's users - or the police - to notice and fix your app. Or going back to Google.

;)

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Apple Maps = fantastic interface and well thought through GPS tools

These things matter little when the infrastructure behind it is not up to scratch. It seems that Apple underestimated the huge amount of effort required to do something even close to Google Maps.

And what it comes down to in the end is speed and reliability. No interface design in the world will make up for failing that.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
There's a difference between being told to take a road not meant for heavy traffic to being told to drive 45 miles away from your true destination.
It's police saying there's an issue with Google Maps... And Google, the God of all things maps, is supposed to be better than this, aren't they?

Retconaddict

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
At least Google didn't strand people in the middle of nowhere.

Sent from somewhere

And that's the most important thing. It's laughable that anyone could be defending apple maps/trying to claim its bette than google maps at this point. Sure, maybe one day it'll be just as good, but right now it's a hideous effort, proven by Apple actually admitting that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox