Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,058 Global Posts

Default They really are improving maps

I've submitted a BUNCH of errors and all are fixed but one. Also, they are improving the picture on the maps and 3D buildings. Hawaii really didn't have good support at launch but improving daily.
    They really are improving maps-imageuploadedbytapatalk1351401528.754916.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wifey and I: 2 iPhone 5's (Black - Hers and White - Mine)
    Macbook Pro
    2nd Macbook Air
    New iPad in black 32GB wifi
    3rd Gen. iPod (Baby Lullaby Music)
    If I helped you - Please hit that little +REP button
    It looks like an old-school scale next to the report button
    Thanked by:
    Fit24 (10-28-2012), SweetSCBerry (11-02-2012)
    SweetSCBerry, Fit24 and Fit24 like this.
    iPhone Beginner

iOS Version

Default Re: They really are improving maps

My experience has been the opposite. I have submitted many mistakes, such as them calling a Tesco Express Garage, BP, which it was years ago. Now, it simply has changed to another wrong name. Plus I have reported many missing POIs that have yet to be added, not even schools are listed.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I cut Apple quite a bit of slack when it comes to maps. It's not an easy thing to cover the whole world.

Some mistakes, like missing POI, are annoying but aren't vitally important. I'm still waiting for them to attach my city's label to the actual city - right now it floating in the middle of nowhere 50 miles from the actual location...
    If you have jailbreak woes, you can iMessage me at iDonev@me.com. I'll try to help (provided I have time to spare).
    tuffy100 and Chris B 1364 like this.
    iPhone Beginner

Lol how did Google do it with not just maps but Google EARTH lol

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean using Tapatalk 2
    iPhone Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by iDonev View Post
    I cut Apple quite a bit of slack when it comes to maps. It's not an easy thing to cover the whole world.

Some mistakes, like missing POI, are annoying but aren't vitally important. I'm still waiting for them to attach my city's label to the actual city - right now it floating in the middle of nowhere 50 miles from the actual location...
    I agree, it's not easy. So they shouldn't have released it before it was finished.
    Reparkable likes this.

Global Posts
    11,881 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Retconaddict View Post
    I agree, it's not easy. So they shouldn't have released it before it was finished.
    In the world of cartography, maps are never "finished"... so by your logic, there would never be a Maps app.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    Fausty82 and Chris B 1364 like this.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,058 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mellimel2212 View Post
    Lol how did Google do it with not just maps but Google EARTH lol

Google has been doing maps/GE for a long time. Apple has literally just started. It will get better and hopefully Google releases an app soon.

Macbook Pro
    2nd Macbook Air
    Fausty82 likes this.
    iPhone Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    In the world of cartography, maps are never "finished"... so by your logic, there would never be a Maps app.
    That's very true. By finished, I mean at least 5 years in date (I'm going on uk maps here)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    516 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gary86 View Post
    I've submitted a BUNCH of errors and all are fixed but one. Also, they are improving the picture on the maps and 3D buildings. Hawaii really didn't have good support at launch but improving daily.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351401528.754916.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	21742

Thanks. It's good to know improvements are being made.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,141 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351401528.754916.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	21742

I predicted that if everyone would just give the new Apple Maps App a chance in a thread I started some time ago and reported bugs instead of spending time griping about it, They would improve it as theyu poured through all of the info they receive from people like us.

They have no other way to know these mistakes unless we report them tothem and then it is a daughting task to go through and verify the info and write the changes. I happen to think they are doing a great job considering what has to be done.

All I can say is everyone keep reporting the errors you find and eventually things will get fixed. Keep up the good work Apple and the actual users who are making their voice heard through the App Reporting Link in the App.
    ~JAG~
    Member Of iMore & Mobile Nations!
    In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace

Global Posts
    11,881 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguarr40 View Post
    All I can say is everyone keep reporting the errors you find and eventually things will get fixed. Keep up the good work Apple and the actual users who are making their voice heard through the App Reporting Link in the App.
    This same thing has been the way things have worked in the stand alone GPSr world as well... report problems to Garmin, TomTom, Navteq, etc... and eventually, things get fixed. Nobody ever made a big deal over map issues with Garmin, TomTom, Navteq, et al while raking Aplle over the coals.
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,141 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

This same thing has been the way things have worked in the stand alone GPSr world as well... report problems to Garmin, TomTom, Navteq, etc... and eventually, things get fixed. Nobody ever made a big deal over map issues with Garmin, TomTom, Navteq, et al while raking Aplle over the coals.
    I agree with you kch but it is always the ones the yell the loudest that are the ones that do nothing to resolve or help to resolve the problem. You can always be a part of the solution or have nothing to do with helping to correct what one is griping about. The approach Apple has taken even to create a catagory in iTunes suggesting to people what other mapping apps you can use until their own NEW native app is to everyones satisfaction...Who else does that? I am happy with Apples approach to this situation and choose to be part of the solution.
    ~JAG~

kch50428 and iSRS like this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts

Google has been doing maps/GE for a long time. Apple has literally just started. It will get better and hopefully Google releases an app soon.
    We all need to be informed that google ha already submitted an app. They submitted last month but apple ahead yet to approve it for unknown reasons...
    What are men without knowledge?
    What is knowledge without wisdom?
    What is wisdom without application?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vanti View Post
    We all need to be informed that google ha already submitted an app. They submitted last month but apple ahead yet to approve it for unknown reasons...
    That was proven to be a rumor, and now the earliest you should hope to see an app from Google is the end of the year. Having said that I wouldn't count on it being any more than a wrapper for the mobile site. They have proven time and time again they are unable to write a decent app for iOS.

15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,058 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ernbrdn View Post
    That was proven to be a rumor, and now the earliest you should hope to see an app from Google is the end of the year. Having said that I wouldn't count on it being any more than a wrapper for the mobile site. They have proven time and time again they are unable to write a decent app for iOS.

Exactly. Why can't they just place the navigation from Androids and gear it for iOS?

Macbook Pro
    2nd Macbook Air

Global Posts
    11,881 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Exactly. Why can't they just place the navigation from Androids and gear it for iOS?
    Google would never give something like Maps to the competition.

Frankly, I do not see why everyone is so (bleep) enamored with Google Maps anyway... they've always sucked on iOS... any number of 3rd party apps have always been better...
  17. Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,058 Global Posts

Frankly, I do not see why everyone is so (bleep) enamored with Google Maps anyway... they've always sucked on iOS... any number of 3rd party apps have always been better...
    I was just curious. I used an Android for 2 months before almost killing myself (joke) and liked the navigation.

Macbook Pro
    2nd Macbook Air
    iPhone Beginner

Yeah I saw the apple maps on my girlfriends cuz ip5 and ewww lol naw no thank u i appreciate Google maps even more then I did before and he is right it always did suck on iOS the best iOS app I saw was TomTom imo

Global Posts
    11,881 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I was just curious. I used an Android for 2 months before almost killing myself (joke) and liked the navigation.
    The Maps that Google put on Android are nothing like what they ever were on iOS. The iOS6 stock Maps app is not bad for their first go - and it will only get better. I prefer Navigon.
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
    iMore Expert

Google maps interface on iphone was just ok but their data is really good, the lack of navigation and improvements over the years was really dissappointing and that's also why I'm overall happier with Apple Maps..
  21. Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,058 Global Posts

I'm all for a nice UI and what not but I prefer for the application to get me from point A to B. I will be driving across country in 2013 and not sure I trust Maps to get me there without getting lost. I might stick with TomTom.

Macbook Pro
    2nd Macbook Air
    iMore Expert

I'm all for a nice UI and what not but I prefer for the application to get me from point A to B. I will be driving across country in 2013 and not sure I trust Maps to get me there without getting lost. I might stick with TomTom.

Doesn't Apple uses Tom Tom for the Map data?? I would suggest Navigon as a back up.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,141 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

I have to disagree that your comment about Google writing good IOS apps are not true. If Apple did not want to come up with their own brand new standalone native app for Maps which I beleive will be great once the kinks are worked out and people keep sending in found errors by way of the the reporting link in the app, It will be a grwat app. If they did not make this decision they would have kept Googles map App since they had a 5 year contract on it.

It is not as easy as taking an Android based scripting and rewrite it to match IOS. It is a completly different platform and has to work in conjunction with the OS for Apple and not Android.
    ~JAG~

24. Thread AuthorThread Author   #24  
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,058 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guacho View Post
    Doesn't Apple uses Tom Tom for the Map data?? I would suggest Navigon as a back up.
    I think so but my tomtom app is WAY better then Maps. Never got me lost and POI are where they should be

Macbook Pro
    2nd Macbook Air
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,141 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

The Maps that Google put on Android are nothing like what they ever were on iOS. The iOS6 stock Maps app is not bad for their first go - and it will only get better. I prefer Navigon.
    I prefer Navigon myself as well but giving the short ammount of time that the Native Apple maps has been out it is not as bad as people say and as long as we keep reporting mistakes we find by reporting them to Apple via the reporting link within the app i truly think this app will really be a great app but it is up to us to work with Apple in taking control of this.

How many times can we say that Apple gives us the ability to have a proactive approach along with them to help make an app better. I love it and will do my share to help Apple with anything they ask help with.
    ~JAG~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast