Netflix/streaming

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
For Xmas we're getting my Mother in Law an iPad. She has wanted one for a while so I took her to Apple and let her play on one so she knew if she actually could and would use it, and if not we could explore laptops or something else. She loves it. So one of her questions was Netflix. Can you do netflix streaming on the iPad? If she gets a Netflix account at her home, how would that connect to an app on her iPad?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
For Xmas we're getting my Mother in Law an iPad. She has wanted one for a while so I took her to Apple and let her play on one so she knew if she actually could and would use it, and if not we could explore laptops or something else. She loves it. So one of her questions was Netflix. Can you do netflix streaming on the iPad? If she gets a Netflix account at her home, how would that connect to an app on her iPad?

Yes, I watch a great deal of Netflix shows on my iPad 2. As long as you have access to Wi-Fi, all you have to do is download the Netflix app, enter your account information and Voila! The shows are sharp and crisp and looks great on the iPad. Heck, I even watch Netflix shows via my MacBook by logging in directly to the Netflix website.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Unless you have a generous data plan, I wouldn't recommend watching Netflix shows via cellular data. It *may* prove to be too costly.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Unless you have a generous data plan, I wouldn't recommend watching Netflix shows via cellular data. It *may* prove to be too costly.

I believe there's no "may" about it... If one intends to use Netflix, wifi availability is a must.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm...I might have to dissuade her from this plan then. She has no wifi at home, and has no plans to change that. I might discuss this with my husband though bec I think she's gonna need that to do this dropping cable and watching netflix at home, right?

- - - Updated - - -

She's still getting a cellplan iPad either way, Im just thinking of the Netflix angle.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what the financial situation is but if there's a way to just get basic broadband Internet service then get it for her. As both Keith and I have stated above, watching Netflix via cellular data is unwise. You might consider getting her a Wi-Fi only iPad and use the extra money you would pay monthly for data service and use that for broadband Internet service, especially if the cost will be similar.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
People are cutting cable and going with Netflix, Hulu, and stuff they buy on iTunes, etc. but they're not doing it on cellular data only because of tiered plans. 45 min of a 1080p movie or tv show is pushing 1.7gigabytes. there goes the bulk of a 2 gig a month plan...

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Well Im adding it to my mobile share. She needs one that's not wifi-only bec of where she'll be using it, she won't be able to get wifi in at least half of these places no matter what so she will need the service. But we don't know what the story will be on her house internet. My husband will figure that out, he's going to have to tell her that her plan to stream netflix at home will require she keeps her internet period, so she can't get rid of it all like she wanted to.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen