Now you can hide Newsstand in a folder on iOS 6:

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
What's nice about this method is that you don't have to be jailbroken in order for this to work. What's bad is that it is for Mac only at this time, however, a windows version is being worked on. I found this today while looking at computer reviews on CNET.

Let me know if this works for any of you Mac owners out there as I'll be wanting to try this myself when they get the windows version running. :)

How to hide the Newsstand icon in a folder on iOS | How To - CNET

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i understand the obsession to hide it but no need for this kid

i thought i saw on twitter the WIN version was out

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
i understand the obsession to hide it but no need for this kid

i thought i saw on twitter the WIN version was out

While I am not "obsessed" with hiding the newsstand, I do think it is a nice option for those who would like to put it in a folder. I've been keeping newsstand on the last page of my apps, but wouldn't mind moving it into my Junk folder with rest of the apps that I don't have any use for.

4u3ynyze.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Scottm42

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Another option is to put it to use with some free content. I have the New York Times and the Economist. Not full access, but for me it makes the Newsstand worth the screen space it occupies.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
While I am not "obsessed" with hiding the newsstand, I do think it is a nice option for those who would like to put it in a folder. I've been keeping newsstand on the last page of my apps, but wouldn't mind moving it into my Junk folder with rest of the apps that I don't have any use for.

I agree - while I don't obsess about it, I would like the ability to stick it into my 'Junk Drawer' folder (along with Stocks, Game Center, Maps, Passbook, Camera and Weather) - and I don't think this tweak of creating a fake folder that can then be placed in another folder really resolves the issue.

Then there's the whole debate as to whether Newsstand was really needed at all (could have been handled in iBooks - as is the case with periodicals / mags / newspapers in the Kobo app), but then, Apple seems to be getting really good at embedding fairly pointless or Beta products into the iOS, rather than leaving them in the App Store for users to install at their discretion.

ernbrdn

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Why obsess over something silly like that? I think folders are more atrocious to look at than icons personally just my opinion. I think all of this stuff has gotten old and everything is grating on my nerves. Maybe some people should switch to Blackberry I know for a fact you won't have any of these issues there. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I have got to try this when I get home.

iPhone 5 ✲ iPad 3 WiFi ✲ Macbook Pro running Lion 10.8.2 ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Last screen is good enough for me.... No biggie.

Same here. I don't even notice it and besides, I don't want to have to install something on my computer just to be able to hide something on my iPhone or iPad.

Just Me, D

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I just tried this, however, Norton removed the download as it said something about an infected file. Think I'm just going to stick with keeping newsstand on my last page.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I just tried this, however, Norton removed the download as it said something about an infected file. Think I'm just going to stick with keeping newsstand on my last page.

That indeed is a concern of mine. Thank you for the update, Rose. I appreciate it. :)

Just Me, D

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
welp just as i suspected, some things are to good to be true. i was reconfiguring some folders and icons today and my phone completely froze then rebooted

clearly this was a result of this "Fantastic" tweak. bottom line is there was a code that was messed with and this was proof positive of that

now i will do a restore, otherwise my OCD will take a turn for the worse

Vanti

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/10/4u3ynyze.jpg

I could not help but notice that the new maps app as well as passbook are inside your junk folder. lulz but for now ill have be staying on os 5.1.1 at least until 6 has a few bugs worked out and maps get the update in my area, the last page is just going to have to do.

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Well I tried this and so far, all is well. Will report back if I have any issues.

iPhone 5 ✲ iPad 3 WiFi ✲ Macbook Pro running Lion 10.8.2 ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!

TheSterkman

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Well, as long as you're staying on iOS 5.1.1 you might as well go fire up Absinthe v2.0 and jailbreak your device... Once it's jail broken download nonewsisgoodnews, and viola! Newsstand is hidden ;)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro