iPhone 4S is the best smartphone you can buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjh483

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The reason of me starting this conversation is that I want to hear other people's opinions on some of my thoughts on smartphones.*

First and foremost, what are smartphones? My definition is that smartphones are mobile phones that are very capable of doing some legacy PC stuff, such as surfing the net and playing games, through the multi-touch user interface via an integrated online app store, while still being able to be carried around all day. Although it's an entirely different class of phone, it's still a mobile phone.*

Now, let's see if today's smartphones match my definition. Many of today's smartphones are certainly very powerful, very capable, and even more powerful than we could have ever imagined. Already a number of Android phones are powered by quad core processors. What's more, some even have those stunning 720p HD displays. Doubtlessly very capable of doing so many things in a beautiful way with the simplicity of a mobile phone.*

However, we have missed one essential feature. And that is mobility. Mobility of smartphones,sounds weird huh? Well, it sounds weird because today's smartphones are not very mobile although they are still mobile phones. *To pack all of the ultra fast chips, high res displays, 4G networking, and etc, all the phone manufacturers have gradually increased the size of their smartphones to an extent where our phones do not fit in our pockets and can't be used single-handedly. Except for one manufacturer. iPhone has kept the SAME comfortably-fits-in-your-pocket and easy single-handedness form factor for 5 consecutive years.*

I may be going too fast, this leads to the controversial inference from my above-mentioned thoughts: iPhone is the best smartphone available in the market right now. The main reason is that simply, it is the only truly mobile smartphone on the planet and yet is just as capable and powerful as other Android super phones. I would love to hear anyone's opinions on this.*

But this isn't the end, because I have other reasons for calling the iPhone the best smartphone, not from an end-user point of view but from a .... I would call a *technical point of view.*

Firstly, design. Many Android phones nowadays really, I mean really, and honestly and sincerely, look great. I appreciate the designers' efforts in making such gorgeous phones. For example, the HTC One X, has a marvellous design. It looks great, feels great, and yet very durable and rugged. I am not praising their designs for the sake of making a well-rounded argument. I really mean it.*
Now let's look at the iPhone. Hmm... I am speechless. I know I may be exaggerating as I explain the iPhone's design. But I am still gonna say what I think. Just one word: stunning. It's hard to describe. When you hold it in your hands, you feel the reliability and ergonomics of the phone. More importantly, you get to appreciate the premium feeling that the beautiful stainless steel band gives you. And the glossy glass at front and back....A stunningly simple yet amazing design that you can marvel at for years. That's how I'll put it.*
( yes, the glass breaks easily. But would I want that glass removed for durability? For me, nope. What do u think?)

Secondly, the limitless possibilities without sacrificing mobility. I probably don't need to explain how many apps are available for iPhone. But I probably have to tell you that the majority of these apps take advantage of numerous iOS features, the Retina display and are perfectly compatible and very secure. But what's more important is that a phone that can do so much still fits in your pocket, and still can be used easily with one hand. Now, here I would like to highlight that this is something many people overlook. Apple has been improving the iPhone annually for five consecutive years and has kept the same form factor. The same size, actually, thinner(3GS to 4), and yet more capabilities. This is an engineering achievement to be applauded. To put this in comparison, every version of Samsung Galaxy has increased in size to accommodate new hardware or extra. And believe me, iPhone 4S is just as fast, not slower at all, compared to Galaxy S3, which has a quad-core processor. ( just to add, there aren't even many Android apps that require that much CPU power) This shows that Apple really cares for the user. It knows what's really important for the user. Yes, many Android phones have 4G networking, but at the cost of mobility. Apple wants to make no compromises. And in case you didn't realise, iPhone 4S has this dual antenna system that doubles download speed. I've used it, compared it to an Android 4G phones, and....
Of course, 4G was still significantly faster. But it's a matter of whether you are willing to sacrifice mobility for 4G. The iPhone 4S was no slouch.*

So this is what I think. Please pen(or type)your thoughts on my thoughts. I am open, and willing to change my mind if I am convinced. But right now, I am very convinced that the iPhone 4S I m using now is the best smartphone in the world.*

asuprice

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I have both galaxy s3 and iPhone 4s. I prefer the iPhone 4s for media as I am used to the iOS interface more, but I have no problem putting the galaxy s3 in my pocket. It is a good size and very slim. As far as speed goes I hate to tell you that the galaxy s3 is much faster than the 4s. With that being said I think it is more appropriate to hold off the comparisons until the next iPhone comes out since the 4s is approaching a year old and the galaxy s3 has just recently been released. I hope the next iPhone adds a larger battery though because my 4s cannot last the day and my s3 does easily

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I have both galaxy s3 and iPhone 4s. I prefer the iPhone 4s for media as I am used to the iOS interface more, but I have no problem putting the galaxy s3 in my pocket. It is a good size and very slim. As far as speed goes I hate to tell you that the galaxy s3 is much faster than the 4s. With that being said I think it is more appropriate to hold off the comparisons until the next iPhone comes out since the 4s is approaching a year old and the galaxy s3 has just recently been released. I hope the next iPhone adds a larger battery though because my 4s cannot last the day and my s3 does easily

I agree, the sgs3 beats the iPhone 4s. The app argument is grasping at straws anymore as just about every iPhone app is available on android and works just as we'll. I am interested to see what the next iPhone brings hopefully its not just another minor upgrade like the 4s was.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
While i agree with you OP (as far as the phone i personally prefer)...a year into the life of the 4S, your post was TL;DR...

I messed with my friends gs3 at work on friday and its a fine phone, definitely a vast improvement over the Android phones ive personally had experience with in the past. Would i buy it? Nah, but its a nice phone.

nokia4life

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
i am also anxious to see how the iphone or new iphone will hold up against the monsters HTC ONE X and SGIII these two android phones are great i can only hope that apple doesn't do a 4s to us and really upgrade this thing new look better software i want to get back to using ios but i can't do that if they don't step their game up.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I stopped reading after the first few sentences because it got boring pretty quickly, but I disagree. I do not believe the iPhone is the best smartphone out there. It is the most fluid, consistent one there is....but let's be real here. It has easily been surpassed by android in several ways. Notifications are better over there, tweaking (which I don't do) and a few minor other things. I will use iOS for the foreseeable future, but it's not the leader IMHO.

The apps argument is nothing, fragmentation exists on iOS, and since I am on AT&T, I would get a galaxy nexus and update to all releases of Android.

zeteo#IM

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I think it is one of them. different devices for different reasons.

Sent from my Gskaxy S III using Tapatalk

mjh483

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
My counter-argument on the app ecosystem

Okay, so the general argument is that Android super phones are much better than iPhone.
Fine. In fact, everyone has a different taste and I am not writing this forum to force people to buy iPhones. But I am still not convinced about one of your arguments.

The App ecosystem. I didn't talk about the number of apps. I am talking about the quality. Although many apps are available for Android as there are for iOS, some Android apps don't have the features that the same iOS apps have. ( Instagram for example) In addition, many apps don't take advantage of the high-res screen, except for text. That's a waste of the hardware. And just to let you know, many great apps arrived on iOS first before being ported to Android. It is without doubt that the simplicity and ease of developing iOS apps has let developers innovate rather than waste time makings their apps work on hundreds of devices. Yes, now, probably the App Store argument is not strong enough to make choosing an iPhone over other Android super phones justifiable, but iOS still wins on the App ecosystem. ( developer + consumer) I also want to highlight that iOS users are far likely to purchase paid apps than Android users. Yes, it means that the Android end users have more free apps. But just think, if you are a developer and want to earn money, which platform would you develop for? Developing for Android is just for the sake of advertising. The real revenue comes from iOS. Therefore, in this sense, iPhone has a much healthier app ecosystem than Android. Yes, I know, as a consumer, you don't need to care. You just buy what you want. But I am talking about the 'best' smartphone, and not how appealing the phone is at first sight to consumers. I may sound biased for those who love Android phones. I don't even suggest you guys to switch to iPhone. I just want to let everyone be aware that at the cost of variety and choice, many developers are spending time on compatibility of their apps rather than thinking about what great features to add and still don't earn much money. So, in this sense, iPhone is better than Android phones. I am sure there is a good number of you out there who want to be on the platform where everyone wins.

And many people have also replied that some Android super phones surpass iPhone in many ways. I would appreciate if you guys can elaborate.

AF87

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I think it is one of them. different devices for different reasons.

Sent from my Gskaxy S III using Tapatalk

exactly, I think so too...It's a question of taste. Design, technical features...and not to forget the lable status;)
People who have no idea, what makes an iPhone a good device buy it just becaus its an apple product...There's no need to explain that, you know what I'm talking about anyways :)

mjh483

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
exactly, I think so too...It's a question of taste. Design, technical features...and not to forget the lable status;)
People who have no idea, what makes an iPhone a good device buy it just becaus its an apple product...There's no need to explain that, you know what I'm talking about anyways :)
And they buy an iPhone because it's an Apple product because they trust the brand. And what can be greater than that? What can be greater than a product which people buy just because of its brand rather than think about processor speed, screen resolution and all those things that are logical steps to consider before buying a smartphone? It doesn't mean iPhone buyers are stupid. It means the Apple brand cares about the users.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
And they buy an iPhone because it's an Apple product because they trust the brand. And what can be greater than that? What can be greater than a product which people buy just because of its brand rather than think about processor speed, screen resolution and all those things that are logical steps to consider before buying a smartphone? It doesn't mean iPhone buyers are stupid. It means the Apple brand cares about the users.

Anyone that buys the iPhone because it's an Apple product with no consideration of the other products out there is a fool, period. Every year an iPhone has been released i have sat back and looked at the other products on the market in the same ballpark and i make sure that when i'm dropping my dime on a phone, I'm getting the one that i WANT more than the others. Up until this year that has been a pretty easy choice, and i think that this go 'round it will be fairly easy again...but there are competitors now with products that can fight the good fight.

The days of Apple having lone dominance of the cell phone market are long over...that's not to say that my choice has been swayed at all, I'm fairly confident a revamped iPhone with a larger screen and some new horsepower under the hood will be my weapon of choice, but it's a great feeling that at last, the competitors are bringing some big guns now, which will force Apple to provide (what i hope are) larger leaps with each new release.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Anyone that buys the iPhone because it's an Apple product with no consideration of the other products out there is a fool, period.
Well sir, there are indeed fools out there then. ;)
Every year an iPhone has been released i have sat back and looked at the other products on the market in the same ballpark and i make sure that when i'm dropping my dime on a phone, I'm getting the one that i WANT more than the others.
Same here. I research thoroughly before making my decision on which to buy.
Up until this year that has been a pretty easy choice, and i think that this go 'round it will be fairly easy again...but there are competitors now with products that can fight the good fight.
Well stated & I'm in agreement with you.

The days of Apple having lone dominance of the cell phone market are long over...that's not to say that my choice has been swayed at all, I'm fairly confident a revamped iPhone with a larger screen and some new horsepower under the hood will be my weapon of choice, but it's a great feeling that at last, the competitors are bringing some big guns now, which will force Apple to provide (what i hope are) larger leaps with each new release.
Apple will still dominate the market, especially here in the U.S. where "image" seems to be more important than reality, but I also agree that the competition has stepped us and is stepping up their game and has become much more appealing to techy types.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

Every year an iPhone has been released i have sat back and looked at the other products on the market in the same ballpark and i make sure that when i'm dropping my dime on a phone, I'm getting the one that i WANT more than the others. .

I think Sean nailed it. I buy what's best for me, not what's fashionable or what my next door neighbor has. A couple years ago, what was best for me was a BlackBerry. Last year, it was my iPhone. This year, it's still my iPhone. When I decide it no longer suits my needs, I'll move on.

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site
Well, for me there's 2 considerations. First, work issues us an iPhone or a Blackberry, so, there's no real choice in that. I also get a personal phone, because the company phone is locked down. For personal use, I've had an iPhone since the 3G was launched. Maybe I'm getting lazier, but I don't really want to learn how to use an Android. I used to like tinkering with gadgets and when I had a Blackberry, would mess around with it constantly, usually not by choice though, the thing would crash endlessly. With iPhone though, there's not much to mess around with except jailbreaking, and I didn't find jailbreak apps very compelling, although I can see how it would be for many others.

I'm basically locked in to iOS for the foreseeable future because I don't want to spend endless hours messing around with my phone to get it to how I like it. The major difference between Android and iOS is the level of customization Android offers, but I get the feeling that I would just end up making it look like iPhone because that's what I'm used to.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I think Sean nailed it. I buy what's best for me, not what's fashionable or what my next door neighbor has. A couple years ago, what was best for me was a BlackBerry. Last year, it was my iPhone. This year, it's still my iPhone. When I decide it no longer suits my needs, I'll move on.

'nuf said...;)

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
To say that the iPhone 4S is the "best smartphone" in today's day and age is simply NOT true. I'm glad that the 4S is the best for "you", but it certainly isn't the best for "all" which is what your OP is trying to imply. ;)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
To say that the iPhone 4S is the "best smartphone" in today's day and age is simply NOT true. I'm glad that the 4S is the best for "you", but it certainly isn't the best for "all" which is what your OP is trying to imply. ;)

Agreed! ... ;)

Keldog

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I had one of the first great Android phones (HTC Droid Incredible) and kept it until about a month ago when I bought a 4S. Is Android a quality phone OS, absolutely. Are the new Android phones superior to the 4S in terms of hardware, yes again.

The kicker is this, I bought the 4S because it was the right phone for me right now. It has a great form factor (I prefer a smaller phone.. again, preference), it is reasonably fast in 3G, and it's reliable as hell. It doesn't do more for me than my old Android phone did (except for the customization part, but I didn't root my old phone anyway), but it does exactly what I need it to do and more.

In a couple of years, who knows?? Just imagine what we'll have available in two years.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
An iphone works for me because:
1. Backup/restore is just awesome. I'll toss itunes in here as well as I rely on that to manage my iOS devices.

2. It's what my family uses now. If friends/family use facetime, imessage and all that, you need an iphone. App sharing, etc. You can still install skype or whatever to use with android users.

3. Support. I haven't bought insurance since the Palm days. Applecare is good enough for year one. I don't have to deal with a carrier.

4. Direct updates.

5. Premium hardware. Software made just for it. Update cycles predictable.

6. Ecosystem.

Sure, that Samsung S3 looks bigger and thinner. Has some better internals. (it better, it takes better to run android). But it runs an old android version. It boasts over 50 preinstalled bloatware apps & a skin that aren't exactly from Google. You deal with carriers. You need insurance. Apple's stuff is pretty much off limits (facetime, imessage, etc). Backup/restore isn't as seamless. You may get another update..someday, you may not. Resale isn't as great. Support stinks.

I'm sure for some, an android is a better choice. Just like public schools might be better choices for some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice