Would you pay to use FaceTime over 3G/4G/LTE?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Everyone with a smartphone is required to pay $30-$35 smartphone fee. Having said that, the ability to use FaceTime over cellular networks should be included in that price, in my opinion. If the wireless providers decide to charge customers an extra fee to use FaceTime over their networks, I will not pay. Although I do use FaceTime, I use it occasionally and usually when I'm at home so paying to use it over their networks wouldn't be smart on my part. I do not need to see the person I'm talking to so if I'm not near a Wi-Fi network to use FaceTime then I will either call the person or send a text message like I do now. By the way, if i had to to do a video chat of some sort, I could always use ooVoo for free. What about you?

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Last edited:

Neutrino

Banned
Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
I think most of the time, I would simply be on WiFi. For the occasion when one is not available, I would pay to use this service. There are other options available to me as well (Tango, for example) which do not require additional fee.

Reactions: Just_Me_D

Sharma15

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Hell nooooooooooo..... Why the hell would I get a data plan for $60 a month only to pay MORE for using data i've already paid for?! If this ever happens to Rogers I will simply cancel my contract and just move on to another carrier. This is total BS.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hell nooooooooooo..... Why the hell would I get a data plan for $60 a month only to pay MORE for using data i've already paid for?! If this ever happens to Rogers I will simply cancel my contract and just move on to another carrier. This is total BS.

My sentiments, exactly..(laughing) :D

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I agree with everyone here. We already pay up the wazoo for data, and if the big carriers (AT&T and Big Red) think they can charge for services such as FaceTime and iMessage (another rumor I read somewhere), they'll likely have many customers jumping ship to other carriers. I love Verizon's service, but it's bad enough they're charging PER PHONE for the "Share Everything" plan (as Rene documents in his piece) - how greedy can they be? Wait...don't answer that question. :eek:

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Considering since I have had Facetime with data on iOS 6, I have tested it only once. Just quickly. I just don't video chat when I am out and about. I only video chat at home. So no I will not pay for it.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Considering since I have had Facetime with data on iOS 6, I have tested it only once. Just quickly. I just don't video chat when I am out and about. I only video chat at home. So no I will not pay for it.

Same here, Garz. I don't video chat when I'm out and about either and therefore, it wouldn't be economically smart for me to dish out extra money for a service I'd never use. ;)

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't even use it now, so no, I wouldn't pay to use it either.

Sent from my iPad LTE using Tapatalk HD.

I hear you, Rose. ;). Anyway, speaking of FaceTime (a bit off-topic), I contacted my teen daughter via FaceTime the other day just for the heck of it but the brat refused to answer and then sent me a text message saying that she didn't want to video chat because she had just woke up and "looked a mess". I was like, "What! I'm your friggin' dad, you idiot, and it's not like the entire world would be watching the friggin' broadcast. Besides, have I not seen and talked to you a gazillion times right after you've crawled out of bed looking a mess?" Her response to me was, "Well, that's different". What the heck!...(laughing)

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sharma15

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I am wondering what these service providers are thinking. Sure, they want to squeeze that last nickel out of each of us customers... but do they really think we will fall for this one en masse?

I know that when I was jailbroken back in the era of iOS 4.3.x, there was an app in cydia that allowed you to set a switch internally and use FaceTIme over 3G. It worked fairly well, and as far as I know, it didn't cripple AT&T's network. I can't imagine that that app is gone... and the worst case that I can see is that AT&T (and VZW and Sprint) crack down on that like they did/do with tethering apps.

However, when I did use that app, it was more of a novelty, as others have pointed out, there is a time and a place for video chat... a noisy pizza parlor or walking down the street are not it, IMHO.

No, I won't pay for it. I won't use it.

And while I'm at it, I'm gonna climb on another soapbox. If I have a data plan from my provider (and I do - we all do) that gives me XXX data, why does it matter HOW I use it? They screw us over on texting at the rate of "grab your ankles" per gigabyte for texting data (I've seen estimates as high as $150K/GB, but that seems ridiculously high)... yet when they collect our fees for unlimited data (or 2GB/month data), why should it matter HOW we use it? We bought it... shouldn't it be ours to use however we choose? Yes, even for tethering or FaceTime calls... :eek:

Last edited:

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I hear you, Rose. ;). Anyway, speaking of FaceTime (a bit off-topic), I contacted my teen daughter via FaceTime the other day just for the heck of it but the brat refused to answer and then sent me a text message saying that she didn't want to video chat because she had just woke up and "looked a mess". I was like, "What! I'm your friggin' dad you idiot and it's not like the entire world would be watching the friggin' broadcast. Besides, have I not seen and talked to you a gazillion times right after you've crawled out of bed looking a mess?" Her response to me was, "Well, that's different". What the heck!...(laughing)

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

KIDS!!! :D

Sent from my iPad LTE using Tapatalk HD.

Vanti

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
because of my personal lack of even using facetime i would " never " pay for this service if it were to be added. And the rare occasions that i do use face time its always over a wifi network speaking to friends or family in other countires.

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
With Sprint saying it will not charge extra for FaceTime over 3G/4G, coupled with their introduction of LTE and their continuation of unlimited data, would anyone consider switching to them?

Guy4Tech

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
What am I paying for when I pay for my data plan? Its ridiculous how carriers are trying to strong arm their customers especially when the CEO comes out and states that he will charge for everything he can as long as he can get away with it. How does this build customer loyalty?

Verizon has been quiet on this whole thing ad while while Sprint came out and promised it wouldn't do that. How stupid can AT&T be? We're in a recession people!

Mike@Guy4Tech.com

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
What am I paying for when I pay for my data plan? Its ridiculous how carriers are trying to strong arm their customers especially when the CEO comes out and states that he will charge for everything he can as long as he can get away with it. How does this build customer loyalty?

Verizon has been quiet on this whole thing ad while while Sprint came out and promised it wouldn't do that. How stupid can AT&T be? We're in a recession people!

Mike@Guy4Tech.com

Yes, we are in a recession and times are hard for a lot of people, but business is insensitive to such things. This is not like it was when I was a kid and it was common for a business owner or store manager to say, " pay me what you can when you can". Those days are long gone, my friend. How many radio and television commercials have you heard and seen where utility companies give tips on how to save on your energy bill? Well, when customers put those tips in practice en masse, what happens? They raise the rates to make up for the loss revenue associated with the energy saving tips they promoted. It isn't illegal or wrong, but it is insensitive, in my opinion. Like I've stated on numerous occasions, customers have a great deal of power, but as long as there are an acceptable number of people willing to pay for the ability to use FaceTime over cellular networks then believe me, the wireless providers will cash in on it.

Just Me, D
(iPad)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2