Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Best iPhone web browser?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Safari

    24 42.11%
  • Dolphin

    2 3.51%
  • Chrome

    27 47.37%
  • Other

    4 7.02%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Fixxy's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

    Default Best Browser for iPhone: Chrome vs Safari vs Dolphin?

    After Google's recent release of Chrome, the iOS browser marketplaces is starting to really get competitive.

    Chrome is nice, but the iPhone version feels a little unpolished. And no option for fullscreen/no auto hide URL search on scroll makes me want to stick with Dolphin.

    Out of the 3 (or other browser not included) is the best in your opinion?
  2. #2  
    BLiNK's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,162 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,509 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

    Default

    i am really getting accustomed to fullscreen so i will not even use Chrome just for that reason alone

    when i am using 5.1.1, and not jailbroken, i use Dolphin quite a bit

    when i am using 6.0 (beta) - Safari, no question. between the fullscreen, and now speed, i have no reason to look elsewhere
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    Fixxy's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLiNK View Post
    i am really getting accustomed to fullscreen so i will not even use Chrome just for that reason alone

    when i am using 5.1.1, and not jailbroken, i use Dolphin quite a bit

    when i am using 6.0 (beta) - Safari, no question. between the fullscreen, and now speed, i have no reason to look elsewhere
    Hmm, haven't checked out new Safari or iOS6b either for that matter. A better browser + OS integration would be amazing.
  4. #4  
    Gary86's Avatar
    iPhone Expert

    Posts
    769 Posts
    Global Posts
    964 Global Posts

    Default

    I have all 3 on my iPhone and iPad. Chrome hands down for now. I haven't used iOS6 Safari so I can't speak to it. But looking forward to it in Sept/Oct.
    Wifey and I: 2 iPhone 5's (Black - Hers and White - Mine)
    Macbook Pro
    2nd Macbook Air
    New iPad in black 32GB wifi
    3rd Gen. iPod (Baby Lullaby Music)
    If I helped you - Please hit that little +REP button
    It looks like an old-school scale next to the report button
  5. #5  
    Irish Rose's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    5,921 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

    Default

    I only use Full Screen Safari now. It works well and it is fast enough to meet my browsing needs.


    Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
  6. #6  
    jclisenby's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,335 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,372 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6

    Default

    Chrome is a great alternative but it doesn't offer the integrated features or extra speed boost that Safari provides. I'll be sticking with Safari and I think most people will, especially as the integration across iCloud goes deeper.
    Thanked by:
    JoshB410 (07-14-2012)
  7. #7  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    17,111 Posts
    Global Posts
    17,321 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default

    I installed the Chrome browser on both my iPhone and iPad and I'm loving it. It's fast, easy to use and works great thus far. I'll spend a few more days with it and then decide if it will become my go-to mobile browser.


    Just Me, D
    (iPhone 4S)
  8. #8  
    Gary86's Avatar
    iPhone Expert

    Posts
    769 Posts
    Global Posts
    964 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    I installed the Chrome browser on both my iPhone and iPad and I'm loving it. It's fast, easy to use and works great thus far. I'll spend a few more days with it and then decide if it will become my go-to mobile browser.


    Just Me, D
    (iPhone 4S)
    Same here but I think I'm convinced. I use it all the time now.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    JustMe'D (07-02-2012)
  9. #9  
    cmfoster#IM's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    14 Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1.1

    Default

    I'm currently using Chrome and I love it!!!
  10. #10  
    nj1266's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    200 Posts
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0.1

    Default

    None of the above. I use Perfect Browser and it is PERFECT. Well worth the 99c. Full screen browsing and the ability to enlarge reflow/text and SAVE the settings for that particular website. Safari does not do that. I know Safari has reader, but some sites do not allow reader. Apple will have you believe that the Retina display does not require larger font. That is silly. Older people (I am 46) need larger text. Perfect browser is also faster than Safari.

    My phone is JB and I have Perfect Browser as my default browser and I love it.
  11. #11  
    Irish Rose's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    5,921 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nj1266 View Post
    None of the above. I use Perfect Browser and it is PERFECT. Well worth the 99c. Full screen browsing and the ability to enlarge reflow/text and SAVE the settings for that particular website. Safari does not do that. I know Safari has reader, but some sites do not allow reader. Apple will have you believe that the Retina display does not require larger font. That is silly. Older people (I am 46) need larger text. Perfect browser is also faster than Safari.

    My phone is JB and I have Perfect Browser as my default browser and I love it.
    I tried Perfect browser and it was anything but perfect for me. It was slow and crashed more than Safari ever has. I don't wear glasses and the Retina display is just fine for me, I don't need to make the font any larger.


    Sent from my iPad LTE using Tapatalk HD.
  12. #12  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    17,111 Posts
    Global Posts
    17,321 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary86 View Post
    Same here but I think I'm convinced. I use it all the time now.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    According to this report, Chrome is currently the top downloaded iOS app.




    Just Me, D
    (iPhone 4S)
    JoshB410 likes this.
  13. #13  
    3under2's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0.1

    Default

    I use Chrome now along with Chromizer tweak. It fits my needs beautifully .

    Scarlet


    Sent from my jailbroken and heavily tweaked iPhone 4 using Tapatalk .
  14. #14  
    Irish Rose's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    5,921 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

    Default

    I downloaded Chrome this morning to try it out. Overall I think it's ok, but not as good as Safari for me. The top bar takes up too much space for my liking as I have gotten too used to having Full Screen Safari to go back to a browser that limits the amount of space you have on the screen. Also, it might just be me, but I find that Chrome is a little slower than Safari when it comes to opening web pages and scrolling up and down. Two things that I do like about Chrome is the way tabs are handled and the way a YouTube video is opened within the browser rather than switching me over to the YT app. Also, I like the fact that I can be reading a web page on my iPad and continue right where I left off when I open Chrome up on my iPhone. For me I would give Chrome a 3/5. If they upgrade the browser to include full screen I will give it a higher score.
  15. #15  
    3under2's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0.1

    Default

    That's why I downloaded Chromizer, full screen browsing .

    I know, doesn't help if you aren't jailbroken!

    Scarlet


    Sent from my jailbroken and heavily tweaked iPhone 4 using Tapatalk .
    Thanked by:
    Irish Rose (07-02-2012)
  16. #16  
    Sharma15's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    433 Posts
    Global Posts
    823 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0.1

    Default

    If Chrome was able to reach its full potential as Safari has, then it would blow safari out of the jungle. Chrome has an amazing feature to show all tabs open in different devices which I love and also syncs with my Google Account and allows me to open any bookmarks that may be on other devices. Safari is stock and therefore works better with default iOS but as a Jailbreaker, you can use full screen Chrome as well (Chromizer in Cydia offers lots of new features to the browser, and Open in Chrome makes are default). Best part, its all free and soo are the tweaks coming out now. Chrome can only get better from here.
    Last edited by Sharma15; 07-02-2012 at 01:37 PM.
  17. #17  
    Irish Rose's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    5,921 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3under2 View Post
    That's why I downloaded Chromizer, full screen browsing .

    I know, doesn't help if you aren't jailbroken!

    Scarlet


    Sent from my jailbroken and heavily tweaked iPhone 4 using Tapatalk .
    Hey, thanks for the tip. I just downloaded it now from Cydia. I got the pull to refresh as it is just like the Fullscreen Safari tweak, but how do I get Chrome to go into full screen mode? I'm not seeing anything under the settings menu.

    Edit: ignore the above. I figured it out. 3 finger tap will get Chrome into full screen mode.
    Last edited by Irish Rose; 07-02-2012 at 01:44 PM.
  18. #18  
    3under2's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rose View Post
    Hey, thanks for the tip. I just downloaded it now from Cydia. I got the pull to refresh as it is just like the Fullscreen Safari tweak, but how do I get Chrome to go into full screen mode? I'm not seeing anything under the settings menu.

    Edit: ignore the above. I figured it out. 3 finger tap will get Chrome into full screen mode.
    Glad you got it figured out! I watched Jeff's video at IDB . I always watch his videos so I know how a tweak works! He's great!

    Just one more thing to add to our arsenal... Lol!

    Scarlet


    Sent from my jailbroken and heavily tweaked iPhone 4 using Tapatalk .
  19. #19  
    Hyster1a's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    15 Posts

    Default

    Chrome, all my info here.
  20. #20  
    nj1266's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    200 Posts
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rose View Post
    I tried Perfect browser and it was anything but perfect for me. It was slow and crashed more than Safari ever has. I don't wear glasses and the Retina display is just fine for me, I don't need to make the font any larger.


    Sent from my iPad LTE using Tapatalk HD.
    I did not have your experience and judging by the ratings in the App store neither did many others.



    Perhaps you tried an old version and not a new one. I need glasses and I find the inability of Safari to text re-flow very annoying. Anyway, different strokes to different folks :-)
    Last edited by nj1266; 07-03-2012 at 09:52 PM.
  21. #21  
    gordol's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    315 Posts
    Global Posts
    647 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.1

    Default

    I use Mercury because it's the only I've found (so far) that properly syncs Firefox bookmaks.
    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
    Double ROT-13 encrypted for your protection
  22. #22  
    Irish Rose's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    5,921 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nj1266 View Post
    I did not have your experience and judging by the ratings in the App store neither did many others.



    Perhaps you tried an old version and not a new one. I need glasses and I find the inability of Safari to text re-flow very annoying. Anyway, different strokes to different folks :-)
    It could very well have been an old version as I haven't used the browser in a long time. Anyhow, text re-flow and all, I love Fullscreen Safari.


    Sent from my iPad LTE using Tapatalk HD.
  23. #23  
    Daspoo's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    36 Posts
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1

    Default

    Absolutely Chrome. I've used Safari (of course) and Dolphin, and although I preferred Dolphin pre-Chrome release, I like the way Chrome feels and am willing to give up a little load speed (although so far I haven't noticed any "slug"). And with the jailbreak, I'm using Browser Chooser to make it the default, which makes its use seamless across the entire OS for me.
    Spoooooooon!!
  24. #24  
    JBDragon's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    1 Posts

    Default

    I'm a fan of icabmobile!!! Also interesting is Yahoo's web browser Axis!!! Both I might add are rated much higher then Dolphin. While I use Chrome on my windows XP laptop, I'm not too much of a fan of it on my iPad!
  25. #25  
    notooloud's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

    Default

    Atomic, with built-in AdBlock, is excellent.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B