Review: iBlast Moki 2 HD, by Godzilab

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
[URL="http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iblast-moki-hd/id364197277?mt=8&at=10l3Vy]iBlast Moki 2 HD[/URL], by Godzilab
$4.99, ****1/2

Pros:

? Fun casual gamer, lots of levels
? Interface to build your own levels and download from other people!

Cons:
? No level builder tutorial
? ?Cute? factor may get annoying (or not!)

iBlast Moki 2 HD is a casual game in the vein of Angry Birds or Cut the Rope. You can play for a few minutes and put it down, or you can play for many hours trying to pass all the levels. iBlask Moki 2 HD is a universal binary, and can easily be played on either the iPad or the iPhone ? no need to worry too much about fat fingers here!

The concept of iBlast Moki 2 is simple. The little ?Mokis? have been scattered around the realm, and you need to bring them back to the home. The ?blast? comes in because you get to use bombs to move them around! Setting bombs up near the Mokis will move them a long distance and quickly, while setting bombs up farther away will just give them a gentle shove. Each puzzle level has a different world with different obstacle, and your goal is to blast the Moki to the portal to get back home. Speed is key, along with picking up the occasional extra point daisy along the way.

As you progress through higher levels, you get more types of bombs added or more items to use ? paint bombs, speed bombs, balloons, etc. The graphics are really quite nice, and the game play involves some understanding of physics (so I guess you can justify it as a learning game!). The levels do get more and more complex and you advance, and while the initial levels seemed quite easy, the higher levels took quite a bit of fine manipulation in order to succeed.

One of the most interesting features about this game is the ability to create your own levels. With the level creator, you can create your own landscapes, with your own obstacles, goals, and even specific methods for solving. Unfortunately, I found the level creator somewhat non-intuitive (at least for designing complex levels) and so I wish there was some sort of tutorial or guide (I am thinking a guide similar to Little Big Planet level creator). But the option to create your own levels is great, and I wish we saw more of that. There is a basic and advanced level builder option ? I only really tried the basic as the advanced (with joints, motors, and more complex machinery) looked just too complicated.

Even better, you also have the option of downloading other people?s levels. In that sense, this game could potentially never grow old, as others will continue to create levels for your enjoyment. The download process is simple and free, so I have some fun trying out other people?s levels as well.

The graphics are simply, but really pop on both the iPad and the iPhone. The sounds effects are nice, and really don?t detract from the gameplay (no distractions here). I could potentially see the ?cute? factor getting annoying for some (the Mokis make lots of little squeals, squeaks, and giggles) but I didn?t have any problem with it.

For people who may want to play for a little less money, the original iBlast Moki ($2.99) is similar, although it has fewer features. It still comes with the more basic level creator. There is also a non-HD version of iBlast Moki 2,also $2.99, which the same features as the HD version, but the graphics aren't as nice. Lastly, there is an iBlast Moki HD (original version) for the same price as iBlast Moki 2 HD. I tried the HD version of iBlast Moki, and the more advanced features really do make the game better. For my money, the advanced features of iBlast Moki 2 and the improved graphics of the HD version are well worth it. The non-HD versions are for the iPhone only.

All in all, iBlast Moki 2 HD is a well-designed casual game. You could easily play for 10 minutes, or potentially get lots for a few hours. The game is easy to pick up, and the level creator option is great for people who are more creative. At $4.99, the game is reasonably priced, and the universal binary is a great bonus. Four and a half out of five stars.

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
*** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
**** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating. Please comment on these reviews. If you own the app, tell me what your opinion is. If the review prompted you to buy (or not buy) the app, let me know why. If you want more information about the app, go ahead and ask.

*To all who are awaiting reviews ? I apologize about the lack of reviews recently, but I hope to post a steady stream of app reviews of the next few weeks. If you have contact me regarding an app review, I will try to get back to you as soon as possible. Please note that contacting me (even sending a promo code) does not guarantee a review. If you have not heard from me within the next week or so, please send me another PM*

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2