Do you go past the Top 25 on the App Store?

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Do you like the way Apple's mobile app store is set up? It's like a Billboard's Top 100...

There's a few reasons this could be. There is more control over the content that you see. Apple's app store is meticulously polished and purged so that you always see the absolute *best* apps. It's like magic.

Everytime you go to the app store, there's ALWAYS a new fascinating app ready to be downloaded. Apple's app store remains a delicious fountain of creative juices and premium content that's constantly running. Like the fountain of youth.

It's good for them and it's good for us. Our opinions of the App Store have remained very high. If we need something, we search up the key terms that are relevant to us and old apps get washed away never to be remembered ever again.

So, would you still like an app store redesign?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Do you like the way Apple's mobile app store is set up? It's like a Billboard's Top 100...

There's a few reasons this could be. There is more control over the content that you see. Apple's app store is meticulously polished and purged so that you always see the absolute *best* apps. It's like magic.

Everytime you go to the app store, there's ALWAYS a new fascinating app ready to be downloaded. Apple's app store remains a delicious fountain of creative juices and premium content that's constantly running. Like the fountain of youth.

It's good for them and it's good for us. Our opinions of the App Store have remained very high. If we need something, we search up the key terms that are relevant to us and old apps get washed away never to be remembered ever again.

So, would you still like an app store redesign?

It works for me. I am kind of torn with the redesign question. Sure, we'd all like to see something new, but what? And is there really any value to changing for the sake of changing it?

It seems like you can't really browse to easily for the more obscure stuff... and that is especially true in the Apple (Mac) store... the categories are there, but when you say "see all", sometimes you get 4-5 thousand apps... other times you only get a screenful or so... so the issue becomes one of managing/scaling the experience with huge numbers of entries...

But over all, as I said, it works for me...

ramykhuffash

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
I think the biggest issue in the app store is that the ranking algorithm isn't complicated enough! Firms offer developers the chance to get their app in the top 25 by generating thousands of downloads (no idea how they do it!).

They should include more signals that the app is good. Not only the rating is important but how often someone uses an app, how long they keep using it as time goes by etc etc. The design of the app store itself is fine and seems even better on iOS6.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I think the biggest issue in the app store is that the ranking algorithm isn't complicated enough! Firms offer developers the chance to get their app in the top 25 by generating thousands of downloads (no idea how they do it!).

They should include more signals that the app is good. Not only the rating is important but how often someone uses an app, how long they keep using it as time goes by etc etc. The design of the app store itself is fine and seems even better on iOS6.

How they do it is buy giving out PROMO CODES...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I do browse past the top 25 in the app store. As for a redesign, it really doesn't matter to me. I'm content with the current design.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I do browse past the top 25. As far as a redesign...I think I am on the fence about it. If it were redesigned, I would want something that is asthetically pleasing as well as functional, and not just a change for the sake of change. One thing that would be nice is a category that distinguishes between free apps and free LITE apps maybe, if that makes sense.....

justinthomsony

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
It's really good to know Apple's app store update. The exclusive design and relevancy shows the perfectionism of Apple. It's really the great for their users and this thing also creates the better impression of this company,

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
It's really good to know Apple's app store update. The exclusive design and relevancy shows the perfectionism of Apple. It's really the great for their users and this thing also creates the better impression of this company,

I've heard rumors that Apple will be implementing a new app ranking system with iOS 6 that will include data on how often the app is used, how long it's open and of course, the actual number of sales. This seems like a much fairer system, and it will definitely kill Chinese botfarm business, but it does raise very sensitive privacy issues as well.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox