Not happy with google maps.

lornaevo

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm coming from Android and I love the turn by turn navigation, but I tried using it in my iPhone this morning and it doesn't even follow the route. I have to manually click next. Am I doing something wrong? Or is this how it works? What do you guys use for navigation?

Thanks.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
The maps app is not a guided GPS app. There are plenty of them in the app store if you need voice guided GPS.

Personally I use the GPS built into my car. I do use the iPhone's maps app to navigate for others when riding shotgun.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Google Maps - and the maps app are not designed to be navigational on the iPhone.

If you want navigation, there are apps for that - many of them.

For Me, Navigon is worth the cost - it gives me the same end user experience I have been accustomed to using my Garmin Nuvi 765T.

velvetelvis

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
i had an android also and that was the best thing about those phones. actually, the only thing i really like about them. i believe apple has purchased a map company which hopefully means they will get turn by turn eventually.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
download WAZE from the app store, it has voice guidance AND traffic and its FREE!!!
If Waze is your only experience with a navigational app, one might think it's good - but if you've ever had a stand alone navigation device, or other paid app, one might think differently. Waze didn't cut it for me.

rich67

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Best free nav app I have used so far? Waze. Followed closely by GPS Nav 2. Also, if you go to Google Maps on your phone, locate the point you want to nav to, click "route", then click "start",click on the little arrow in the left lower corner and it will follow you as you drive on the map. Granted, it won't re-route you if you pass a turn, but you can follow it as you drive. I'd still suggest using Waze though.

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I just got Navigon, thanks for the info guys. Thanks for helping out an iOs newbie.
If you ever get an iPad to go along with your iPhone - you can load it on to the iPad and use it there too... provided you've got a 3G iPad or a bluetooth GPS puck or GPS dongle for a Wifi iPad... Navigon is sweet on an iPad.

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I use navigon, never had any issues with it. I use it on my ipad, combined with Dual GPS bluetooth receiver and a Verizon Mifi. Love having a nice large screen for my GPS in my car for vacations.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Google Maps - and the maps app are not designed to be navigational on the iPhone.

If you want navigation, there are apps for that - many of them.

For Me, Navigon is worth the cost - it gives me the same end user experience I have been accustomed to using my Garmin Nuvi 765T.

+1, I love Navagon. Well worth the price that I paid for it.

Lodingi

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
I use TomTom.

Subjective. I don't really miss it. I prefer having locally stored map data. YMMV, of course.

I think I was being sarcastic. Somewhat. It is a nice feature to have by default.

Anyone like the Telenav app? It's only $9.99 for the year. I believe Telenav is the Verizon Navigator? I remember having a good experience with that program.

ruger141

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
For me there is a lot more to miss from Android's version of Google Maps, it was by far my favorite app on my Android. + and - icons to zoom are much easier one handed than repositioning my hand for two finger tapping-on the iPhone. Although only slightly related (since its used in mapping) I've found my GPS location is not nearly as accurate as it was on my Droid Inc. The Compass Mode is basically useless on my iPhone since it will not work in car for me and thats where I need it most(my inc had no trouble). POI's have much less options in iOS: No Reviews-One thing I love to use and also to give. No links to reviews around the web. No Related Places listed, No ability to search nearby, No link to "Report a Problem" ie: wrong address, place not there etc. When is List mode when you search for a POI there is no Waypoint indicator with a distance stamped next to it, Very nice to have. No quick easy integration to Navigation is a bummer. It can be worked around if you copy and address from Google Maps and paste it in your Navigation App of choice though just not as integrated. Now I will give it to Apple's version because it looks better, has cooler animations, is MUCH smoother, when scrolling through the map the frames load faster, generally quicker all around, the ability to Print is a cool feature if you need it. I know there is no way Apple will see most of these features within this app(after all it Android is Google) but in order to get the same amount of tools I had in 1 app before now takes a couple.

ruger141

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I forgot to say that it was nice to use the Map directions for general driving but lets say you follow your general map driving directions for a while and now you are downtown with cars and people everywhere as well as unfamiliar streets. One click of a button and you are instantly transferred to voice guided directions and you can keep your eyes and focus on the road. I like to use Waze and the Free TeleNav apps for Voice Nav now with the iPhone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR