Google Music apps

StormJH1

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I strongly recommend that people considering iTunes Match go take a look at what Google offers as a cloud service FOR FREE right now. 20,000 songs uploaded, no questions asked. If you happen to buy any of them from Google Music, those don't even count against your 20k cap, and neither do the free songs and albums they offer. Note that I have about 70 GIGS of music, and that only equates to about 13,000 songs. And I could probably do without a lot of those if I wanted to free up even more storage.

Uploading takes awhile, but just set it up on your computer over a few days and nights and it's done. From then on, you can tell it to automatically add new iTunes additions to the cloud (and it works).

Google Music lags far behind Amazon and iTunes because of their licensing issues, but I think their cloud storage is the best option out there. But I think Apple users are staying away because they don't think they can access it on their phone.

Wrong. Go to Google Music using Safari and you will be prompted to download their Web App. It will create an iOS icon for you that is essentially a shortcut, but looks and feels like an app. You then stream music off of this, which is HUGE because I have a 16GB iPhone 4s, and don't want to really store ANY music on my device.

Has anybody tried any of the Google Music apps from the App Store? There is one called gMusic for $1.99 that tries to be more of an iPod clone. For that price, I may check it out, but I have to say that the Web App (while not sexy) is actually pretty darn fast. Haven't tried it over 3G yet, but it plays great on WiFi.

Reactions: TurboTiger

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I can never get Google Music to work on my ipad2. I login, it loads and then ask if I want to set aside 25 MB of space on my iPad and when I click on 'increase' ( the two options given are Cancel & Increase), it shows a blank google music screen. No album or song list is ever shown. What am I doing wrong? I'm on wifi, by the way.

UPDATE: Nevermind. I got it to work by selecting the desktop version. Thank you anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

StormJH1

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Glad you figured it out.

To update on the gMusic app, it does load up all of your music and then keep it there for the next time you log in. Saw a couple of sorting oddities, such as an album called "Greatest Hits" combining songs from all artists with that title, but generally pretty good. Works great on WiFi, especially.

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I've been using gMusic since the day I got my iPhone, and it is definitely worth the money! Great app and very easy to use. You almost wouldn't know you're using a cloud service!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Nothing is free with google.... your demographic info, and music preferences are being aggregated, data mined and sold to 3rd parties... you are being sold for a "free" music service...

StormJH1

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Nothing is free with google.... your demographic info, and music preferences are being aggregated, data mined and sold to 3rd parties... you are being sold for a "free" music service...

Oookay. Should I also close my Gmail account, Google reader, Google plus, and stop using their search engine in favor of Bing, who gets into bed with Facebook. I get your point, I just don't see as a practical matter what I'm supposed to do about it without shooting myself in the foot.

9thWonder

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site

it's free cause i haven't paid any money for it. And they can try and sell me all they want but i haven't bought anything. Thus it's free to me.

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

Ok, perhaps they do, but I get a great service, I don't pay anything, and they have yet to use my decade of data on me, so I'll take it.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.467972,-118.812934

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
g. Go to Google Music using Safari and you will be prompted to download their Web App. It will create an iOS icon for you that is essentially a shortcut, but looks and feels like an app. You then stream music off of this, which is HUGE because I have a 16GB iPhone 4s, and don't want to really store ANY music on my device.

I uploaded all of my song to Google Music a week ago and would only access it from my laptop but couldn't figure out the iPhone 4S access until I read your post.

It's great.
Tks Storm

HuskerTom#WN

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I too use the Google music service on my iPhone and it works excellent. I have over 15,000 songs uploaded and it works without a hitch.
Highly recommend !!

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
I'm considering something like this as well. What are the main differences between iTunes match and Google music, aside from price?

Oh nevermind. I'm doing it. :)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox