Reading iBooks regularly on iPhone bad for eyes?

Nibbz

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I have recently begun to read more and more on my iPhone. Being able to just open up my book anywhere I am, whenever I want makes it very easy for me to get into books more, and I enjoy reading more now because of it. I read now more than ever because I can read on my iPhone.

I am concerned however, that reading on such a small, backlit screen can be damaging to my eyes. Don't recommend a Kindle or another e-ink reader as I am committed to purchasing ebooks from the Apple iBookstore due to the fact that iTunes credit can be used to purchase them.

An option of course would be to get an iPad, which I plan on doing once I am financially able to. But again, I am wondering if the backlit screen is damaging to my eyes. Also, I understand that reading in the dark is bad for your eyes, but what about reading in the dark, on a backlit screen? I tend to lay in bed before I dose off and read a few pages before I go to sleep. This is usually done in the dark. There is a setting that lets me put white text on a black background, would that be better for my eyes when reading in the dark?

Basically to sum it all up, I want to know if and how damaging reading from the iPhone's 3.5 inch backlit screen is for my eyes, and if reading from a backlit screen in the dark is bad for my eyes.

Thank you for your advice, and please try to stay on point and avoid recommendations beyond the iPhone and iPad.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Just make the font large enough so you are not straining to read and you will be fine. When you get your iPad, you will be in reading heaven.....

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I'd say as long as you take breaks and look up often, you'd be fine. It's really not that different than staring at a computer screen for long periods. You just need to take breaks and break the eye contact occasionally.

pieroxy

May 7, 2009
Visit site
It's not bad for my eyes but it's bad for my patience.

Jokes aside, I have a grudge over the iBooks app performance. It is barely usable on an iPhone 4, but on a 3GS or a 3G, the app is just unusable. It's soooo slow... On my iPhone 3G it takes 2 minutes to go from landscape to portrait mode. You read that correctly : 2 minutes. It is well beyond what I'm willing to endure for an e-book app.

As a result, I use Stanza. Works great, fast and all.

To get back on topic, no, there are no reasons it could be worse for your eyes than reading on paper. Just think of adjusting the backlight of the screen and you're set.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR