Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

4 Posts

Default Replace cordless phone with iPhone

OK ... I want to ditch the cordless handset and answering attached to my land-line. I can’t say enough rude and disparaging things about it.

When someone rings our number, I want all the iPhones in the house to ring, any one of them being able to answer the call. If this was limited to my wi-fi zone, I could live with that. A gold star awarded if I can answer it in anyone's wi-fi zone and guaranteed purchase if I can answer it out and about on 3G (without a jailbreak!).

If the calling number is in anyone’s contacts, it will display their details as it does with mobile calls today.

If someone else picked up the call, it would tell me who and if unanswered, it will take a message and alert me to its presence, regardless of where I am. Ideally, I can listen to the message straight out of the app - second prize if I have to "call home" to retrieve it.

I want the functions of the landline to be identical to the current mobile phone and ideally it would be fully integrated and seamless – I just choose which “line” to use, when calling out (mobile or landline).

Obviously, this has to be more than an app – there will need to be a piece of hardware that connects to the phone socket, connects to the wi-fi and connects to the internet. And indeed, this is where most of the functionality would live.

Setup and control of this “black box” (mental image of an Apple TV), would be entirely managed by the app and be “Apple-like” – intuitive and easy to use, no instructions necessary. iPad version for the control piece would be peachy.

Skype integration is not necessary … but you can see how all these thing could come together!

So …

This is not too much to ask for, is it? I’d cough up $199 for something like this in a heartbeat.

Maybe Apple should do it! Maybe it's already done!

Oh, did I mention I want it by the 24th of December … I'm one present short

Update: the resident financial controller wants it to detect if the incoming caller is FaceTime enabled and switch the call to FaceTime and fall back to VOIP (Skype, presumably) if internet enabled.
    Last edited by intrinicity; 12-15-2011 at 03:34 AM.
    iMore Genius

10,934 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts

You have just described Google Voice.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iPhone Nanite

4 Posts

Default Google Voice

As far as I can ascertain, Google Voice (in particular the One Number feature) is not available in Australia. Sounds nice tho!

I think, however, I would prefer the dispatch intelligence to reside in my Apple TV-like box plugged in to my phone line and router, rather than out in Google land. Even after ten years, VOIP is still kinda flaky. If this "box" stops working, it can be unplugged that the previous steam-driven methods can be recommisioned without major grief - and there'd be no need for the carrier to be notified, let alone asked to co-operate!
    iPhone Nanite

1 Posts

Default Re: Replace cordless phone with iPhone

Did you ever find a solution for this. i would pay for it too. I don't think google voice is the answer. This needs to be an appliance that connects the land line to wifi. and an app to answer the land line on the iphone. Why isn't this available easily?
    iMore Intermediate

132 Posts
    Global Posts
    474 Global Posts

Default RE: Replace cordless phone with iPhone

What your describing is a multiline call forwarding. You need a pretty high-tech phone system to pull that off, or a service like ring central.
    Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express