Error: You must own this item to write a Customer Review

RJKinsman

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I've been getting an annoying message in the app store when trying to post a review for an item that I own:

You must own this item to write a Customer Review.

In order to write a Customer Review for this item you must have purchased or downloaded it first
OK

Can anyone offer any suggestions for resolving this?

Note, I briefly searched the forums, but was not able to find this topic.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
If you got the app as a gift or promo code, you are likely to get that error until the next version is released.

RJKinsman

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I'm synced with iTunes on my PC.

I purchased the app.

Also, it only happens on some apps, not all. I can post reviews for some of the apps that I own, but for some, when I try to post a review, I get this error.

I have three IOS devices:
1) iPod touch first generation (circa 2009)
2) iPad2
3) iPhone 4s (Sprint)

I run iTunes on Windows 7 Professional

Last edited:

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Was it purchased with the account entered on your phone? It wasn't synced via Home Sharing from a relative/spouse's iTunes account?

RJKinsman

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Was it purchased with the account entered on your phone? It wasn't synced via Home Sharing from a relative/spouse's iTunes account?

No, same account on all devices. I originally purchased it using my iPhone. Is it even possible to use switch between apple accounts on an iPhone?

Last edited:

RJKinsman

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Yup. You can sign in and out and in to multiple accounts at any time.

OK, well, nice to know. But that's not what was going on here.

Here's a screen shot of the error.

View attachment 12238

Oh, the screen shot was off my iPad. I got the same error on my iPhone and my iPad.

It was simple. I launch the app store app, find the app I want to review. The button says "INSTALLED"

I compose my review and tap submit. The error pops up.

Well, apparently it's something unusual, since it appears that so far, no one has seen anything like it before.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I had that once. Even though it installed on both my iPhone and iPad, I hadn't done a sync to iTunes since installing, so iTunes (for some strange reason) thought it was not installed. Try doing a sync and then try to do the review.

ladymcquaid

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Same issue here

Wonder if it has something to do with the tricky apple id thing. I remember having set up one with an email too to try to fix the iCloud problem (didn't work).

Mark Strathmore

Nov 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I get this error fairly often on a small number of my apps. (In my case, Cisco WebEx and Zomato - both free apps). I've tried logging out/in to the store and messing around with my AppleID but have never solved it.

household6

Sep 5, 2017
Visit site
Old thread, but same thing has happened to me several times over the last couple months. Thankfully, the message pops up before I am given the screen to write a review.

I haven't figured it out yet, but I believe family share has something to do with it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox