Which is the BEST Navigation App?

gary1949

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I've been an iPhone 4S owner for one week, having come over from android using a Galaxy S. I've been using AT&T Navigator at $9.99/mo, which must be the most expensive of all premium navigation apps.

I sure would appreciate comments from users of Navigon, Tom Tom, Telenav and other top line navigation apps telling me why they made the choice they did. Cost is not a major factor. I'm looking for the best performance and best user experience.

Thanks Much.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I like Tom Tom because all maps are stored on the device so if you lose data connection you can still navigate.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I've used both Tom Tom and Navigon and they are both excellent. Navigon just had a significant UI upgrade and it is on sale, but now they are charging (I think optionally) $20 four times a year for map updates... which IMO sounds ridiculously expensive.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I've used both Tom Tom and Navigon and they are both excellent. Navigon just had a significant UI upgrade and it is on sale, but now they are charging (I think optionally) $20 four times a year for map updates... which IMO sounds ridiculously expensive.

thats another reason I like TOM TOM there updates have been free so far!

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I've moved this thread to the Apps forum. As kch50428 suggested above, if you search this forum, you'll find several other threads asking and answering the same question.

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I sure would appreciate comments from users of Navigon, Tom Tom, Telenav and other top line navigation apps telling me why they made the choice they did. Cost is not a major factor. I'm looking for the best performance and best user experience.
You really should clarify what's important to you in nav apps to get relevant responses from people. What are your requirements? What are your must haves? What doesn't matter to you?

I like Tom Tom because all maps are stored on the device so if you lose data connection you can still navigate.
TomTom's not the only option for locally stored map data. OP should clarify if locally stored maps are a must have or not.

Navigon just had a significant UI upgrade and it is on sale, but now they are charging (I think optionally) $20 four times a year for map updates... which IMO sounds ridiculously expensive.
It's not $20/quarter. It's $20 and updates are available quarterly. It looks to be a one-time payment but that's not totally clear to me.

I've moved this thread to the Apps forum. As kch50428 suggested above, if you search this forum, you'll find several other threads asking and answering the same question.
+1. Very common topic.

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
It's not $20/quarter. It's $20 and updates are available quarterly. It looks to be a one-time payment but that's not totally clear to me.

Navigon's new FreshMap feature, available as an in-app purchase is a one-time purchase for quarterly updates for at least two years - at least that's what they're saying on their Facebook page as of last Friday.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

I don't know where you are getting this from. I just updated Navigon on my iPhone. I wasn't charged one cent for the Maps that I updated. There was no mention of a fee to update these maps either.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
thats another reason I like TOM TOM there updates have been free so far!

Navigon has always given me free updates as well, including all of the maps that I just updated. I don't know why others are saying that there is a fee. If there really is, I haven't been charged.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Navigon has always given me free updates as well, including all of the maps that I just updated. I don't know why others are saying that there is a fee. If there really is, I haven't been charged.

With this current update, Navigon is changing their business model - separating the app from the map, so one can be updated without impacting the other. And they are offering an option to subscribe to their FreshMaps service, which will provide quarterly updates for at least two years for a one time in app purchase. Current users will get the app & new maps with this update at no additional charge - just make sure you have wifi available to use the new map manager function to update maps.

Last edited:

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
With this current update, Navigon is changing their business model - separating the app from the map, so one can be updated without impacting the other. And they are offering an option to subscribe to their FreshMaps service, which will provide quarterly updates for at least two years for a one time in app purchase. Current users will get the app & new maps with this update at no additional charge - just make sure you have wifi available to use the new map manager function to update maps.

Seems a little confusing to me. Are the maps supposed to be separate from the Navigon app? Because they appear to be integrated from what I can see. These are the maps that I downloaded without a charge so far.

4a5e2bd6-7d0d-5247.jpg

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
By 'separated' it means that the app can be updated without having to download maps and you can download and update maps while leaving the app alone. Your situation is working as designed.

gdbjr

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Best FREE == Waze (use it daily)
Best PAID == Navigon

I have never had good luck with Waze. On longer trips it always seems to want me to go 60-80 miles longer then is needed. On short trips I have had it want me to make a right at a intersection, then an immediate left and another right to put me back on the road I was just on.

iArnie

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Navigon shot itself in the foot

I used to think the Navigon MobileNavigator app for iPhone was best, but no more.

With their latest update, Navigon has shot itself in the foot. Why? For the following reasons:

1) When I bought the app in 2008, they promised free map upgrades for life. Now, they are charging a minimum of $14.95 for future map updates. To renege on a previous promise in inexcusable, even if Navigon was bought out by Garmin.

2) In requiring a fee for future map updates, Navigon/Garmin has failed to tell people what they are paying for. The page in the app where you purchase the map updates just states that quarterly updates will be available for $14.95. Is this payment $14.95 per quarter, or $14.95 per year, of a one-time forever payment of $14.95? They don't say. And they don't answer emails, Facebook posts or Tweets. Which brings me to...

3) Navigon/Garmin has the absolute WORST customer service of all time. It is worse than AOL's customer service at its lowest point. If there was an award for worst customer service ever given by a company, Navigon/Garmin would win it. This is sad because the app is worthwhile, but I can't recommend it in light of the current failure of the update and lack of customer service.

If Navigon/Garmin reads this post, they still have a chance to rectify their errors by giving a brief period of time for previous MobileNavigator users to get free map updates, and for explaining what the fees paid are purchasing. Communicate with your previously-loyal customers, Navigon/Garmin. It is the answer to a multitude of your sins!

Last edited:

NXD10

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Any problem with too much traffic?

I just moved over to iphone and used mapquest to make four long trips. I was also using Google maps.

Driving last Friday - when all students everywhere were driving home for Thanksgiving - neither program worked at all because their networks were overwhelmed.

Do any of these paid problems have that problem? I've never had it on Verizon Navigator on the ocassions I've used it, but also don't think I've tried on holiday weekends.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh