Which is the BEST Navigation App?

NXD10

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Another question about Navigon: I had this odd problem with Mapquest where speech would not output to my stereo when it was plugged in.

To be specific: My phone is connected via bluetooth to the stereo. This works fine for calls. My headset output to stereo works fine for music. Mapquest voice doesn't output to headphone output and was muted when it was in. It only works via phone speakers (weird).

Is this true for Navigon or Tomtom?

DVDBob

Dec 30, 2008
Visit site
I've used several but have always come back to TomTom for it's accuracy and ease of use. My only complaint is that the "back" button is so small when in landscape and is hard to tap with my big fingers while driving.

Lately I've been trying Waze and while I'm impressed by the screens and graphics, the routing hasn't been that great. For longer trips, it picks the same route I would pick about 75% of the time. (TomTom 95%) For shorter trips, however, Waze has made me go in complete circles almost everytime. I do like the notices, warning and social aspect of it, but I'm in a new city and need to have accuracy over anything else.

blyths

Feb 5, 2010
Visit site
I've used both Tom Tom and Navigon and they are both excellent. Navigon just had a significant UI upgrade and it is on sale, but now they are charging (I think optionally) $20 four times a year for map updates... which IMO sounds ridiculously expensive.
Nope. $20 once to get quarterly updates for life.

blyths

Feb 5, 2010
Visit site
Another question about Navigon: I had this odd problem with Mapquest where speech would not output to my stereo when it was plugged in.

To be specific: My phone is connected via bluetooth to the stereo. This works fine for calls. My headset output to stereo works fine for music. Mapquest voice doesn't output to headphone output and was muted when it was in. It only works via phone speakers (weird).

Is this true for Navigon or Tomtom?
Navigon would allow music to play through the Bluetooth connection.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Nope. $20 once to get quarterly updates for life.

Not life... right now, they're saying "Thanks for your additional questions! FreshMaps provides quarterly map updates for at least two years for a onetime fee." -- From Navigon's Facebook Page, last Friday

SirPsycho84

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Use WAZE

I use Waze. It's free and adds social aspects to it as well... i love it so far. I've had for about 5 weeks and have no complaints yet!

bold007

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
You really should clarify what's important to you in nav apps to get relevant responses from people. What are your requirements? What are your must haves? What doesn't matter to you?

TomTom's not the only option for locally stored map data. OP should clarify if locally stored maps are a must have or not.

It's not $20/quarter. It's $20 and updates are available quarterly. It looks to be a one-time payment but that's not totally clear to me.

+1. Very common topic.
i am also not clear on the updates is it a one time fee or yearly fee?

bold007

CloudMDP

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I have them all, Magellan Roadmate, Garmin Streetpilot, TomTom, Navigon,, Telenav, Copilot Live, Mapquest, etc. My choice is Magellan Roadmate.It has a nice balance of features, onboard maps, free traffic, red light cameras and I like the ding that it makes at the point of turn.

TomTom is nice, in fact I have the XL340TM Live, but they have a problem with their maps. It simply does not understand the highway/freeway system so if in New York city I ask it to avoid highway/freeway for rush hour travel it simply doesn't work. All others do.

dfrmnk

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
Navigon. Now it is even better because you don't need to download all the maps - you can only download these you immediately need.

gc916

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm using MotionX GPS Drive. It's inexpensive, accurate, and easy to use.The maps are "live," but can be downloaded in advance to prevent interruptions in poor service areas.

Voice guidance is included for 30 days, and requires a monthly or annual subscription after the initial period. Not a deal-breaker, in my opinion, because the total cost is still far less than other alternatives.

The app gets stellar reviews in the App Store.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
If Waze is the only PND solution you've ever used, I'm sure it's the bees knees for you... but if you've ever used a Garmin Nuvi 350 or better, you'll likely find Waze, and all the other freeware apps to be lacking by comparison.

My $0.02

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro