Gmail for iOS?

DrKanter113

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
So, I downloaded the new gmail yesterday and all of the settings properly come up for the push notifications. I enable them and turn all the switches in notifications setting to on so it should show on the lock screen, notification center etc etc, but nothing works when I get an email. I have to physically go into the app for it to refresh for any new mail to appear.

I notice in the comments sections, some people complain that this is happening but others seem to be indicating that the notifications are working..to an extent anyway. I have the sound switch set to off since I'm at work, but it should still vibrate and give me some type of notification from the gmail app, shouldn't it? Can anyone else advise if they're having any success and if so, if there's a setting I need to amend anywhere either through the gmail app or my regular mail app?

Thanks so much for any assistance!

DrKanter113

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Judging by the amount of views but lack of replies, I guess it's safe to assume that's the same thing everyone's experiencing...way to go, Google. Guess it's still the standard mail app for now and I'll keep Gmail just to be kept in the loop of its updates.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Set your gmail up as a exchange and u can get push notifications not unless there is something this app does that setting up exchange natively can't do

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
For what it's worth, Google is promising quick updates. This is from their gmail blog;

In the short time the app was public we received a lot of helpful feedback and feature requests. This included requests for everything from bigger features like multiple account support to customizations like improved notifications and mobile specific signatures.

We?re just getting started with the Gmail app for iOS and will be iterating rapidly to bring you more features, including all the ones listed above plus many more. Based on your comments we have already improved our handling of image HTML messages - they are now sized to fit to the screen and you can pinch to zoom in.

(emphasis mine)

Reactions: DrKanter113

DrKanter113

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Set your gmail up as a exchange and u can get push notifications not unless there is something this app does that setting up exchange natively can't do

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

I've defniitely read that suggestion about setting up as an exchange and just haven't looked too deeply into the benefits and more importantly if it puts any limitations on my email in general. I came from a Droid X and knew that my biggest tradeoff in moving to the 4S was going to be Gmail. I guess I just got my hopes up that this app would mitigate the one thing I miss about the old phone. Still never going back to Android though ;)

surrealx

Jan 26, 2009
Visit site
I've noticed that since installing the Gmail app my battery life has decreased drastically, will try deleting it and reporting back.

Spiral_ouT

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Notifications are working for me through the Gmail app. Surprisingly, I get my emails about 3 seconds quicker on my iPod than on my Android device connected to the same router. No added battery drain since installing.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR