What use is find my iPhone app?

toomanyphones

Oct 14, 2008
Visit site
Other than tracking my wife and kids or finding mine in the car or couch, what good is it when someone who finds your phone just have to reset it to use it? My cousin left his phone on a coffee shop counter, 2 minutes later it went straight to voicemail and find my iPhone could not locate. The phone was locked but they must have turned it off as soon as they grabbed it and later use iTunes to reset the phone. I am sure Apple could make it impossible change or disable it unless you can prove you own the phone once you set it up and password lock it. Or even better track by serial # so it can be found anytime it is ever used again. Would anyone else pay an insurance to apple if they could always locate you phone if it is stolen and they try to use it again?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
like ghost said and also most individuals who steal iPhones are not aware of FMi and end up getting caught. so i'm guessing the percentages weigh in favor of the owner?

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I think it would be useful if you realized you lost your phone right away so you can track it immediately or do a remote lock if it wasn't already locked. I am new to iPhone so I wouldn't even know where to begin to reset a phone using iTunes that belonged to someone else and was most likely locked...but I'm sure many could do this easily.

Also, the restrictions should set to not allow changes on location services so someone couldn't just turn off FMiP. And hopefully this would buy someone enough time to track their lost/stolen phone.

However, I think FMiP is mainly so you can do a remote wipe as a last resort so the lowlife who stole it won't have access to your address book, emails, accounts, etc.

toomanyphones

Oct 14, 2008
Visit site
I know, I was more ranting than anything else. I just felt sorry for the guy. He has 1 income with a wife and 2 kids and now has to come up with over $600.00 for a new phone since the old one was only a few months old.