Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

iOS Version
    iOS 5

Default App for that: search content in all your PDF files

Hi,

I use my iPad to read and annotate lots of PDF papers for my academic research. Currently, I need to transfer the annotated files back to my laptop and use Adobe Acrobat Pro to search through all PDF files at once, let's say to find all documents that contain a given reference for instance.

I have got a number of PDF Reader type apps in my iPad, but each one only offers search functionality once the PDF is open, meaning that if I am looking for the word "TiPb" (yes, I know what you're thinking but I need a break from my research everynow and then :-), I need to open every single PDF file and search, which can be quite time consuming when you have 100s of files. So, I am looking for an app that allows me to search for a specific word in all PDF files at once, rather than having to open files individually and then hit the search button. As a bonus, I'd love if the the app could also allow me to print only the annotations with a single file, rather than the whole of the annotated PDF document.

Thanks for any help.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    103 Global Posts

I don't know an app, but I may have a solution. Google docs will host PDFs and you can search all content of all documents from the search bar on the home screen of the site just like their Instasearch. Pretty handy and may work for what you need. However, it would also require you having the PDFs in Google docs beforehand, but there are a lot of sync/batch upload solutions for Google docs.

Have you checked if any document editors for iPad have a universal search option? I know DocsToGo doesn't, but don't know about QuickOffice. And others.
    iPhone Nanite

Default Search content in all your PDF files

PDF HD allows you to read PDF documents, books and magazines like paper ones and even better. PDF HD lets you read large PDF files, highlight and bookmark favorite passages, navigate through links and table of contents, search phrases and copy & paste text.

For additional help you can go here for the top apps in cloud computing and their specs.

Top 100+ Software and Applications Supporting Cloud Computing | Techyv.com
    App and photo editor

Global Posts
    1,466 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Readdle updated PDF Expert to include this feature!

http://www.imore.com/2012/01/24/pdf-...h-pdf-library/