Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question FM Receiver App?

I am going to be getting the next iPhone as my first iPhone and I am wondering is their a way to receive "true" FM broadcasts and not "streaming" broadcasts via 3g/Wifi? I am looking for something like on a regular radio or on the previous Nano where you can tune in individual channels for when I want to listen to the TV in my apartments gym. I know of Tune-In, Nobex, iheartradio... If this can be done via just an app or it can also be with an accessory like the Remote Control apps for your TV.
    I just wanted to note that I will be using wired headsets with this.

iMore Expert

840 Posts
    Global Posts
    870 Global Posts

AFAIK, you need an App like TuneIN Radio. The iPhone does not have a built in FM transmitter. You will need 3G or WiFi.

Unless someone else knows something different.
    iMore Genius

20,845 Posts
    Global Posts
    21,726 Global Posts

You mean FM receiver....

To the OP: iPhones don't have FM receivers. You'll need to use a streaming app, or for a station local to you, an FM receiver will have to do.
    Last edited by kch50428; 09-29-2011 at 12:05 PM.
    iPhone Intermediate

484 Posts
    Global Posts
    524 Global Posts

Unless for some reason the new iPhone model(s) come with an FM antenna then you're going to be out of luck trying to get non-streaming FM stations.
    iPhone Newbie

40 Posts

I think one major reason why apple does not (and may never) support FM receiver, is one, space, secondly cost of the part, and the largest, free music and no royalty on ads! that way you need to rely on itunes for your music! yuck!
    iMore Nanite

2 Posts
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

Default Re: FM Receiver App?

So the FM section of the BCM4325 chip can't be enabled?

Low-Power 802.11a/b/g with Bluetooth® 2.1 + EDR and FM

The Broadcom BCM4325 family of single-chip devices provides for the highest level of integration for a mobile or handheld wireless system, with integrated IEEE 802.11a/b/g (MAC/Baseband/Radio), Bluetooth 2.1 + enhanced data rate (EDR), and FM receiver. Thus providing a compact small form factor solution with minimal external components to drive the costs for mass volumes and allows for flexibility in size, form, and function of handheld devices. The BCM4325 is designed to address the needs of highly mobile devices that require minimal power consumption and reliable operation.