Homer ebook: A unique application with the Iliad and Odyssey.
The Homer application is a unique ebook with the Iliad and the Odyssey of the poet Homer in their original texts and their translations in English and Greek.
If you like reading books on your iPad/iPhone, you are a classics enthousiast or a teacher/student in litterature, Homer app is a great reference tool.
Even if you don't know what I'm talking about but Sirens, Cyclopes, Odysseus (Ulysses), Achilles or the Trojan War do sound familiar, this is a good starting point to know more!
The application has a distinctive user interface with background art, simple to use menus and navigation to display the texts, additional information, selected audiobooks and a gallery of art with works inspired by Homer's Iliad and Odyssey.
In detail, the application features:
- The ancient Greek texts of the Iliad and Odyssey and translations in modern Greek and English prose and rhyme by Samuel Butler and Alexander Pope.
- A Gallery of Art with works inspired by Homer, including ancient Greek pottery, Hellenistic and Roman busts, Renaissance and later period paintings by Raffael, Rembrandt, Rubens and other artists and works from museums around the world.
- Audiobooks on selected works by LibriVox, a feature accessed via a unique and easy-to-use interface. Audio files are downloaded from the internet and stored in the device without the need to re-download again.
- Bookmarks functionality storing both text and audio if you want a fast reference on a selected part of the works.
- References for additional information with the summary of the works, the list of all characters, translator notes and more.
- Parallel Text display of the ancient Greek and modern Greek texts (English parallel feature is on the works and will be available next content update) in order to read side by side the original text and its translation.
The App also includes:
- verse numbering (for rhyme),
- select and copy text to another application (mail, notes etc),
- increase/decrease the size of text and reset to default,
- return at the beginning of the current rhapsody,
- remember text and audio position when leaving reading screen and come back again,
- audiobook backwards audio skip at listener configurable length,
- option to delete all or individual downloaded audiobook files and save space on the device.
- change the content language (works, references, gallery) with the option to display all.
Priced at $1.99/€1.59/£1.49, the application continues to grow in content by adding more texts, references and gallery images with application updates.
The Homer app runs on iPhone (3Gs, 4), iPod Touch (3rd/4th Gen) and on all iPads with multitasking support and is retina display enabled.
A demo video is at
iTunes link: App Store - Homer
For more information, screenshots, how-to videos etc visit the application website at Homer | cloudfields.