Best Task/To Do Manager for a Professional

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I am looking for a good task management app that can sync with either a downloadable program or a web based system. I have tried a few. I like Things, but I believe you have to have a Mac if you want to sync to a desktop. For now I am a PC user. That may change, but not soon enough. I would really like to have something along those lines that I can sync and have up on my PC while in the office.

If it helps, I am a CPA and manage multiple tasks/projects that many times have multiple steps. Many of these repeat throughout the year or at least annually. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I am chasing something that should be easy to find if I just had a little help.:) I am hoping that there is another CPA, attorney or someone with similar requirements that can help.

Thank you.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I am looking for a good task management app that can sync with either a downloadable program or a web based system. I have tried a few. I like Things, but I believe you have to have a Mac if you want to sync to a desktop. For now I am a PC user. That may change, but not soon enough. I would really like to have something along those lines that I can sync and have up on my PC while in the office.

If it helps, I am a CPA and manage multiple tasks/projects that many times have multiple steps. Many of these repeat throughout the year or at least annually. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I am chasing something that should be easy to find if I just had a little help.:) I am hoping that there is another CPA, attorney or someone with similar requirements that can help.

Thank you.

I suggest sync to cloud or a groupware server in your office instead of be married to the USB cable among a few reasons. It is good to have your data entry available places other than the two sides of the USB cable and near instant updates.

If you want to spare the cost of Exchange or advanced hosting you can use Google and get a Google tasks app but that's not as feature filled as an Exchange server or Outlook.

GoTasks is what I'm using with Google right now. Any lack of satisfaction is not GoTasks but the Google vs. Exchange feature set.

A notes type environment or something tied to Dropbox might be good too.

I've moved between Exchange and Google for hosting calendar and tasks, currently Google, will re-assess when the new OS and phone releases are out. I use other platforms but will stick with iPhone because of the time and billing to QuickBooks app I use.

If you're a CPA you probably need to consider privacy and security too. We support CPAs and attorneys and see we have things in common as far as need to manage tasks, time, billing and private information.

I hope that's a start.

Reactions: cwbcpa

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
The two I have used and liked the most have been Appigo's ToDo and 2Do. I have settled on 2Do but only because I like the way it looks better. I do not use Outlook but if I remember right both will sync with Outlook and Mome. I know they both sync with the online service TodoodleDo. That is what I use to keep my iP4 and iPad sync together with tasks. Both have very similar features like built-in calendar, SMS, call, and email from within App itself. I use 2Do everyday for both Work and Home.

Reactions: cwbcpa

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Thank you. I was using GoTasks with Google at one point and it's not bad, but like you said it's lacking in the features department. Cost and security are both issues for me. We are a small firm so keeping cost low while making sure I have security is a challenge.

I appreciate your input. I have used Blackberry for years and just switched to Android last year and now to the iPhone this year so this is all a little new. I have considered going back to Blackberry, but I love the iPhone and feel like they are making progress in addressing issues of small businesses. I want to see how IOS 5 addresses some more of these issues.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
The two I have used and liked the most have been Appigo's ToDo and 2Do. I have settled on 2Do but only because I like the way it looks better. I do not use Outlook but if I remember right both will sync with Outlook and Mome. I know they both sync with the online service TodoodleDo. That is what I use to keep my iP4 and iPad sync together with tasks. Both have very similar features like built-in calendar, SMS, call, and email from within App itself. I use 2Do everyday for both Work and Home.

I may look into this combo of 2Do and ToodleDo online. I know ToodleDo has their own app. Is the 2Do app just better? It appears to be better looking for sure. How about function, features and ease of use?

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Wunderlist works great and is free for basic task syncing. 2Do has the best UI out there period and works very well, I also like Apigo Todo and their Cloud sync platform (also works with toodledo) ... I have Apigo Todo for my Mac, iPhone and iPad ... All three apps are well written and they work together very well. I will tell you though that I have been cheating on todo with the built in reminders platform in iOS 5. While it doesn't allow for subtasks it handles basic task syncing & calendaring very well. I hope this helps.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
I may look into this combo of 2Do and ToodleDo online. I know ToodleDo has their own app. Is the 2Do app just better? It appears to be better looking for sure. How about function, features and ease of use?

IMVHO, YES it is that much better. Now it is not free but WELL worth the Money.

wanderlust is very nice but may not be what you are looking for if I understand what you want to do. I would certainly use it for personal stuff, but I do not think it is quite powerful enough for Business purposes.

I had forgotten about Appigo ToDo Mac Sync but you said you used a PC. Not sure if they have a PC version or not May be worth a look though. Me, I have never really cared about syncing tasks with a Desktop, but my job is very Mobile. I am rarely in the Office so my Phone has always been the main place for Tasks. YMMV.:D

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

You should look at this if you are using data from or about your customers and notice their verbiage about security.

Toodledo : Privacy Policy

The problems you list with GoTasks and/or most complaints I'm aware of are really rooted on the server side (Google). If anything I find GoTasks makes using Google more tolerable!

Good luck.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
You should look at this if you are using data from or about your customers and notice their verbiage about security.

Toodledo : Privacy Policy

The problems you list with GoTasks and/or most complaints I'm aware of are really rooted on the server side (Google). If anything I find GoTasks makes using Google more tolerable!

Good luck.

Thank you for link. Security is obviously important to me. I am not sure what I am going to do at this point. I my give GoTasks another shot. I use Google Calendar for personal and work and GMail for personal use.

jaybree

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site

Had this dilemma before. At our workplace people use different OS (Mac, Windows and Linux). So, I had to find something that would seamlessly sync all our tasks and work hours. I eventually found this task management software that does it exactly like I needed it to. Just one login and you could store all your information on its web interface.

This helped me manage all our tasks and work hours well for productivity.

Last edited:

Paul6

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Beesy, Todo/task management app.

Hello,

Concerning the management app for Ipad, I can advice you the application "Beesy". I discover it fews months ago and I really find it perfect for all my organization concerning my tasks in work.
It's a professional note taking and ToDo application. you can find many features to accomodate tasks, generate automatically a ToDo list from your notes, make monitoring and send easily minutes by email. This app is great; you save a lot of time at work.

iPad To-Do directly from your notes - Beesy

All the best,

Paul.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
I suggest sync to cloud or a groupware server in your office instead of be married to the USB cable among a few reasons. It is good to have your data entry available places other than the two sides of the USB cable and near instant updates.

If you want to spare the cost of Exchange or advanced hosting you can use Google and get a Google tasks app but that's not as feature filled as an Exchange server or Outlook.

GoTasks is what I'm using with Google right now. Any lack of satisfaction is not GoTasks but the Google vs. Exchange feature set.

A notes type environment or something tied to Dropbox might be good too.

I've moved between Exchange and Google for hosting calendar and tasks, currently Google, will re-assess when the new OS and phone releases are out. I use other platforms but will stick with iPhone because of the time and billing to QuickBooks app I use.

If you're a CPA you probably need to consider privacy and security too. We support CPAs and attorneys and see we have things in common as far as need to manage tasks, time, billing and private information.

I hope that's a start.

GoTasks or GoTask? Both are different apps.

timesheet

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

Thank you.

Hi,

I believe almost all project or task management software's provide sync with PC or computers or even Mac. The Project Tracking Software> we use does integrate with computer and syncs all data with it and makes sure we have all data accessible anytime and from anywhere.

Hope this helps.