why can't I keep the clock on while charging

petworks97

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I use my phone as a clock. I want to be able to see the time when it is charging at night. Is there anyway to do this but still have the screen time out when running on battery

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I use my phone as a clock. I want to be able to see the time when it is charging at night. Is there anyway to do this but still have the screen time out when running on battery

Get one of the alarm clock apps... there are many an all will do what you want. I use Alarm Clock from iHandySoft... may have been $0.99.

petworks97

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
The only problem with these apps is that you have to turn them on. I want something that will automatically come on when I plug in the iPhone. I also would like it to give me the option to automatically change the sound profile as well. Just like the BlackBerry bedside mode. This is a great feature. One of a few things that I love about BlackBerry. I don't understand how a company like Rim thought to do this and Apple did not. Apple seems to think of everything. This would make the iPhone a perfect device for me.:)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
The only problem with these apps is that you have to turn them on. I want something that will automatically come on when I plug in the iPhone. I also would like it to give me the option to automatically change the sound profile as well. Just like the BlackBerry bedside mode. This is a great feature. One of a few things that I love about BlackBerry. I don't understand how a company like Rim thought to do this and Apple did not. Apple seems to think of everything. This would make the iPhone a perfect device for me.:)

It doesn't work exactly like your old BlackBerry because, well, it's NOT a BlackBerry. There are apps in the AppStore for just about anything you want to do (ok, not really one for auto profiles unless you JB - but there are for most functions/tasks)... so put the icon on your home page and fire it up at bedtime. I do it that way. Apparently many others do, too. IMHO, it's not that big of a deal...

jimmers

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
I use Kensington Nightstand. It's FREE, works in both portrait and landscape mode and also has a current weather feature. It does not interfere with alarms. You also get to chose what color you'd like the clock to display in.

You do have to start the app but since I use it everyday it's always available quickly thru the quick app switcher feature. If that's still to much for you to do, put it has one of your docked icons.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Do any of the alarm clock apps cut the phone on to activate an alarm setting?

If they have an alarm feature, I'd say that they do... otherwise, what's the point? But if you're using your phone and the app as a nightstand clock, I would also think that the phone/app/clock (and alarm?) would be active and would not have "cut off"...

narniahopper

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
App Start

It seems silly that there's no hack out there to allow an app, such as a clock app, to run when an iPhone or iPad are charging, especially since every smart device I've owned since 2000 has been able to do it. Automation is part of the computer experience.

Please someone, tell me I'm wrong. I'm new to iOS, but it's been frustrating trying to make this work.

aapierre

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I loved the way my blackberry automatically kicked in the clock app on charging and this also allowed for a profile to be used,

Thus after 11pm my phone switched to only allowing phone calls to make a sound and all the electronic messages went on silent.

I can see how the original poster would want that now as it was a lovely touch which I wish was available.

I use my iphone as a nightstand and dont find it too much bother to have the ihandy alarm set on the first page

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
You would think that the iphone would..... "have an app for that!" That's one of my favorite BB features also, although it's the keyboard and the bridge to my PlayBook that are actually keeping me on the BB now. Otherwise even I must admit you guys and Android HAVE lapped us. ;)

chiragaegis

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
When you want bedside mode, just hit the clock then menu key to tap bedside mode. I tried to find a way to use the convenience key, but couldn't see how. Maybe someone who uses this function will have more insights.

Last edited:

narniahopper

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Found the solution. Need to have a clock app that overrides the basic iPhone/iPad screen timeout feature, and a jailbroken device. Download an app from Cydia called "Activator". It will allow you to enable events when certain things happen. The relevant actions here would be when connected or disconnected from a power source. This allows me to set a clock program, such as "Living Earth" to open when connected, and then activate the home screen when disconnected. Works pretty well.

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Found the solution. Need to have a clock app that overrides the basic iPhone/iPad screen timeout feature, and a jailbroken device. Download an app from Cydia called "Activator". It will allow you to enable events when certain things happen. The relevant actions here would be when connected or disconnected from a power source. This allows me to set a clock program, such as "Living Earth" to open when connected, and then activate the home screen when disconnected. Works pretty well.

Jailbreaking is always the answer for practically anything you want to change in iOS since the OS is locked down in such a draconian manner.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro