Review: Death Rally by Remedy Entertainment Ltd.

Freiteez

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Death Rally, by Remedy Entertainment Ltd.
$4.99****

Pros:
  • high replayability (unlockables, upgrades, leaderboards)
  • Awesome Retina display graphics
  • Voice acting
  • future updates
Cons:
  • Glitchy but will be fixed in a future update
  • Camera angle takes getting used to
  • no multiplayer currently(coming in a future update)
  • once everything's unlocked, no direction on what else to do.

Death Rally is a port from an old PC game. It's a top down arcade driving game with weapons.

The game starts out with you being chased by the cops and you have no idea why. It's pretty much a tutorial level and then leads into a cinematic telling you the story so far which has some pretty neat voice acting.

You are then greeted with the menu you will see for the rest of the game. Here you can choose between many different levels, each having different difficulties every time you play a level. Sometimes there's even special events for the levels such as: no weapons, one round, or every one forced to drive a van.

This menu also lets you head to the garage where you'll be able to choose between 5 different cars, choose between 3 different colors for the cars, and choose between 6 different weapons. When you start out you don't have much to choose from but that changes quickly.

Now its time to race. I have to say that camera angle 1, which is the default angle, made me lose every single race. You can't see anything in front of you. Once I learned I could change that, and after getting used to camera angle 2, it was a much more fun experience. When your racing there's a lot that's going on. Your car will automatically shoot a machine gun at your opponents and you also have a designated fire button which shoots your special weapon. As you race around the track there's parts you can pick up that, once you get enough, unlocks new cars and weapons. There's also crates that, when destroyed, gives you extra ammo, cash for upgrading, or nitro to pull ahead in the race. There's multiple ways to win a race. You can destroy all the cars your racing against or just place after 3 laps. The best part, even if you get last place you still get some cash for upgrading.

The last thing about this game is that there's bosses in every race you go up against. They are usually the car that places 1st or is ahead of the pack most of the time. The bosses are shown by a picture of themselves on the car at the beginning of the race. But the best part is you race up against such characters like Duke Nukem, John Gore (from Minigore), or even game celebrities such as Geoff Keighley.

This game is extremely addicting with high replayability.. I'm glad the developers are planning future updates and can't wait to see whats in store. I'm especially happy that they are already trying to fix some of the bugs/glitches that the game is currently having. Currently if you change your phones orientation then the game will close or it just wont change its orientation at all. At $4.99, I'd get it, especially for all the hours you can play it.Four out of five stars.

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
*** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
**** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating.

Video Review:YouTube - Death Rally iPhone Review (Game of the Week + Giveaway)

deathrally1.jpg

deathrally2.jpg

juan13

May 30, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion this is a 5star game-this is one of my all time favorites. I wish there was a multiplayer option fut watching the developers working so hard and have already proceeded to so many updates, I'm sure this moment is not so far away ;)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73