Lola?s ABC, by BEiZ Ltd.
$0.99, ****

Pros:

? Great game for people learning letters and spelling
? Multiple levels for different education levels
? Multiple languages

Cons:
? No customization

I have reviewed a variety of ?learning? games for children in my other Kid?s Korner reviews. It seems that the iPhone and iPad are becoming great tools to help and encourage kids to learn letters, spelling, reading, math. With that in mind, I took a look at Lola?s ABC, an app designed to assist kids learning letters and learning to spell/read. In the interest of full disclosure, I received a promo code to review this app.

Lola?s ABC?s is a simple, well designed app with the laudable goal of helping kids learn. The app comes with three difficulty levels, presumably designed to teach three different education levels. The app focuses of letter recognition at the easiest level, and progresses to spelling and word recognition at the hardest. It also looks at upper and lower case letters, and uses various kinds of ?games? to get the kids interested. As a child does well, he/she wins ?coins? that can be used to buy presents to bring a friend (interestingly, you aren?t buying presents for yourself!).

The graphics and interface in the game are very kid friendly. While my daughter is currently too old for the game, I think it is designed perfectly with young kinds in mind ? bright colors, a clear voice, easy to understand controls.

Unfortunately, there is little to no customization available. You can?t choose what kind of game you want to focus on (which is good in some ways, because it forces kids to do all of them). You can choose specific letters or word (or spelling rules) to focus on. It also doesn?t have a spelling option where you hear the word and have to spell it ? all the spelling is based on recognizing the item/object and knowing how it is spelled.
As a really nice feature, you can choose from between four languages ? English, French, Spanish, and German. This is great for foreign purchasers, but it is also great if you want to work to teach your child a foreign language at an early age. There is nothing like getting them to that thinking of foreign languages at an early age.

All in all, this is a nice, well designed spelling learning app, that kids will probably really enjoy. As a parent, I wish there were a few more options to ?focus? a lesson or customize the lesson, but overall it is an app that most kids will still find fun. For only $0.99, the game is well worth it if you have a toddler/pre-schooler who would use it to learnt the language. Four out of five stars.

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
*** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
**** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating. 

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73