Review: 8mm Vintage Camera, by Nexvio

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
[URL="http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/8mm-vintage-camera/id406541444?mt=8&at=10l3Vy]8mm Vintage Camera[/URL], by Nexvio Inc.
$1.99, ****

Pros:

? Adds filters to video
? Adjusts video as you shoot

Cons:
? No post-shooting editing
? Can?t send video via email within the app

I have reviewed a number of camera filter and editing apps in the past, but I have recently been looking at a different kind of filter app ? one that puts filters on video you shoot to make the video look like it came from a 8mm video camera (you know the kind ? grainy video, shaking camera, etc).

The app is dead simple to use. When you start off, you are presented with an overlay on the app showing you the different functions of the buttons. This overlap can be put back just by tapping the information button. There are no preferences to adjust, no settings to change ? it is all done on this one main screen. That is sort of nice ? you don?t have to go through multiple screens to choose a filter or anything.

On this main screen, you have a button for choosing the filter (or lens): clear, flickering frame, spotlight, light leak, and color fringing. These are all based on the common distortions you might see in 8mm video. You can also choose from five different film types: 1920 (grainy black and white), 1970?s, Sakura, Xpro, and Siena. Again, these will mimic different types of film that you would use in a 8mm video camera. You have a record button, you can choose to turn the flash on or off, you can choose to add ?projector sound? or just use the microphone (or no sound), you can choose to use the front or rear camera (iPhone 4 only), you can even choose to use a jitter button!

Let?s talk about the jitter button for a second. This was my favorite toy to play with in the app ? probably I was playing with it too much. The jitter causes the frame to displace slightly and temporarily, so you suddenly see the frames on the screen. Again, this was something that happened with reel to reel projectors playing 8mm film in the past. The jitter button replicates this nicely.

The best thing about all these features is that they can be adjusted on the fly! You can change lens, film, jitter as you are recording. While this might make the final product a little jarring for the viewing, I think it is a great way to show off the functionality of this app. Unfortunately, the app doesn?t save a ?pristine? version of the video or allow you to make additional adjustments after the video is recorded. Along those lines, you also can?t import video that is stored in your camera roll. While I like the filter active while recording (you can see what the final product will look like), it would be nice to have post- shooting features as well.

My biggest complaint about the app is what happens to the video after you take it. There is a proprietary storage location, from which you can choose to upload video to YouTube or send it to your camera roll. That means if you want to email it, you need to send it to the camera roll first (same thing to send it to MobileMe or Facebook). There should be increased options to share the video (or at least save it) directly from within the app ? not just those two.

All in all, this was a fun video app to play with, and can reasonably mimic some of the feeling and style from 8mm video cameras. The features (lenses and film) are easy to use and easy to adjust, and the end product is something that would be fun for anyone to watch (assuming the video itself is entertaining). Unfortunately there are limited sharing options from within the app, meaning you have to save it to your camera first. For only $1.99, this is a fun app to add a little style or flavor to videos you might shoot. Four out of five stars.

NOTE: I tried to upload a sample 40 second video I took, but it was too large. I am going to try to find some way to link it to this review.

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
*** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
**** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating. 

Rocktapus

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm one of the few that actually think this app is "meh". I don't mind not being able to convert other videos, but I REALLY mind the low resolution output. Especially being an active yiutuber/filmmaker...the 360p just doesn't cut it for me. I can see it as a good toy camera, but there are better apps out there for filmmaking purposes.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
The low resolution was going to be a negative point for me, but then I decided they did it to try to mimic the old style cameras (which certainly did not record in HD). It might be nice to have the option to switch, however. Rather than think of this as a professional tool, I was thinking of this as more of a novelty app.

I love to see comments from people on the apps, because the more you add you thoughts, the more of a complete review it is. After all, my review is just one mans opinion.

Chris

Rocktapus

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I wasn't expecting HD recording because that would defeat the purpose. BUT there are film cameras out there that deliver high quality prints.(I happen to own one). They come out looking more defined than my hipstamatic images. For the 8mm app I was hoping for AT LEAST 480p. The video loses alot of definition when it's just 360...the static and jitters don't really help with that.

But you are right...this is more for novelty purposes than serious film making. I would love it if it could be used for film making though because there are so many stories that can benefit from the effects.

Reactions: Alveezy

Alveezy

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
for those 2 that complain for the app not recording in HD is totally out of their mind...have you seen an HD video with film filters? it's horrible! it just doesn't have that authentic film look, it's too sharp to a point that it looks edited. Rocktapus is right about defeating the app's purpose to mimic film filters! so i'm gonna thank him for that.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73