Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Guru

1,522 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,608 Global Posts

Default Review: Reckless Racking HD, by Electronic Arts

Reckless Racing HD, by Electronic Arts
    $4.99, ****1/2

• A nicely designed racing game
    • Lots of features and options
    • Multiplayer included!

• Controls can be a little…sticky
    • AI opponents can be easy, at least on lower levels

Reckless Racing HD is a racing game, designed by Electronic Arts, aims not at “realistic racing action” but instead more fun, out of control racing action. In this game, you play entirely with a top-down view of your vehicle, mostly because if you had a drivers viewpoint then you would quickly lose your orientation as you were driving.

In Reckless Racing HD, you will need to accept the fact you are out of out of control. In the process of racing, you will be power sliding all over the place, skidding almost off the road, sending signs, barrels, trees, and other items from the roadside flying in just about every direction…and it is fun. Unlike “realistic” racers, here you can just relax and see how fast you can go and not worry about skidding or anything like that, because everyone else is doing it as well. Of course, you DO need to worry at times about falling off a cliff or something, but if you do, don’t worry about it because you just get to start again from where you fell off.

When playing the game, you can choose form 8 tracks (which can also be unlocked to race in reverse), multiple vehicles, and even custom paint jobs on the vehicles, you have a wide variety of options available to you. There are also three game play modes – dirt rally where you just race against other cars, Hot lap is basically a time trial, and Delivery where you have to collect packages and items along the track as you race. In addition, there is an online multiplayer version, so you are not just limited in racing the computer.

The racing action is fun, although I found the computer surprisingly easy to beat at the easiest levels. It was so easy that I was able to wreck multiple times, get stuck a few times, and still beat the other cars. It does get more difficult as you move from Bronze to Silver and Gold levels of difficulty, so don’t lose heart.

My biggest complaint was the control mechanism. When steering, you have a left and right arrow for turning. This is fine and dandy when you are facing the same way as the vehicle is facing you, you need to remember that the orientation has shifted so “left means right and right means left”. It would be nice to have some sort of orientation lock (or assist) so that you were always facing the same way as the vehicle. Now, once you race a few times you start to pick up these nuances and they were not a concern, but it can take a few laps to get used to.

All in all, this is a really fun top-down viewing racing game. The tracks and options are nice (although I would like to see more) and the racing is very addictive. While the controls can take a little while to get used to, once you have figured it out, you will find yourself going back again and again. For $4.99, you can’t find a better off-road racing game that I know off. Four and a half out of five stars.

All in all, this is a fun, adrenaline packed hunting game that delivers pretty strongly. While it is missing some elements (a way to actually beat the game, or a way to challenge friends/multiplayer mode), I found myself picking this game up to play more than I thought I would have. The graphics are very nice, and you can easily find yourself immersed in the world of dinosaur hunting. For $2.99, if you like FPS or hunting games, this is a no brainer – go out and buy it today. Four out of five stars.

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
    ** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
    *** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
    **** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
    ***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating.