Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Beginner

55 Posts
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts

Default help with an app for my dad

hi guys my dad is a mechanic so he works on the family and friends cars and he stores the cars vin numbers in his phone so he can order the parts and what not without having to get the number each and every time. He is coming from a blackberry where this is really no problem but with the iPhone it stores this info in the notes section and he hates how just clicking on the notes edits the text and hes already deleted a few characters accidentally and is annoyed by this.

So i was wondering if anyone knew of an app that would be able to store his vin numbers securely and not too hard to use as i will be setting it up and showing him how it works.

Anything that has a desktop problem would be a plus. His phone is jailbroken so that is not out of the question. Only thing is he's super paranoid about data theft and doesnt want a program that syncs with someone else's server only on his home computer.

I have looked and looked but can't seem to find anything that does what we want that isnt too hard to use
    iPhone Newbie

21 Posts
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

I recommend Ascendo's DataVault. DataVault uses 128 bit AES encryption, so it's very secure. Each piece of information he stores is in a separate "note" so he won't be able to accidentally edit or delete. We also have a version for both Windows and Mac desktop.

Connecting to the iTunes Store.
    iPhone Newbie

16 Posts
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts

I've used eWallet for many, many years on Palm OS, Windows Mobile, and now on my iPhone and iPad. It gives you tons of control over how to organize the information and you can set up the format and fields for him to fill in so that it makes sense to him. If you want, they also offer a companion desktop application which can be used as a standalone program or can sync with the iPhone/iPad data. All of the data is encrypted and stored on the individual device and nothing goes through a third-party server.