How can I watch LIVE TV on my iPad?

rdonegan

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
I've been waiting for a simple solution that can somehow hook up to my cable where I can watch live television on my iPad throughout my wifi area. Mainly because I'd like the freedom of bringing the iPad out to the patio on a nice day or set up in the kitchen, etc.

I know there are a few products like Slingbox that enable you to do this but I've heard mixed reviews (plus I don't like the $30+ price tag for the app for EACH iOS device. Not willing to spend on a mediocre solution). I'm not really looking to link to my home cable via 3G or IP remotely, just something around my own wifi network.

Plus I'm looking for a decent picture (not distorted in anyway). I thought about getting a USB tuner to hook up to my laptop, then using a remote desktop app (like Splashtop) to link to my computer from my iPad but I'm not in love with this solution because there's already some distortion lookinmg at my desktop screen from my iPad.

Maybe this is a pipe dream for all I know. Any thoughts from the masses?

andyheron

Mar 4, 2011
twitter.com
Tvcatchup.com allows you to watch any British free-to-view channels on an approximate 4 second delay (otherwise it's illegal to watch without a tv licence!) which is pretty cool, but that's the only site I'm aware of!

futurecode

Dec 12, 2008
Visit site
I had a slingbox a loved the product. The "feed" was dependent on your upload and download transfer rate, but on a home network worked quite well. The price is prohibitive, but it does work well.

I did get rid of it cause I cut the cable/satellite cord and had no use for it anymore.

Now, with the ipad, I just try and find safari friendly feeds online, or use skyfire for flash video feeds. Veetle.com is a good spot for sports and shows.

TheBaconKing

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Don't own an iPad yet, but I will in a week! I do have an iPhone 4 though as well as a Slingbox Pro HD at home. I use the slingplayer app on my phone all the time while out. It is very nice.. The Slingbox was around $300, but it is the top model they have cheaper ones..

If you do go the Slingbox route don't buy the older ones. Just get the Slingbox Solo or Pro-HD. Sling Media is the worst company when it comes to cutting off users from using their "older" products. I heard that the iOS apps are not compatible with the "older" slingplayers.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Before you consider a Slingbox, have a look at the Vulkano. Cheaper than a Sling by far - their bottom of the line model is usually $100, and unlike the Sling, it acts as a dvr, saving your recordings to .mp4 format to view any time, anywhere. Currently, their players are free (not $30 like Sling).

They have 2 new boxes coming out, the low end will still be $100, but the players will be $9.99. Still beats Sling.

TiPb has some Vulkano coverage from CES, and I recently interviewed their EVP on Convertcast (http://justanothergeeksite.com/2011/01/the-monsoon-is-coming/). Totally worth looking at.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Thanks for the info crew! Maybe I'll look into the sling box option then.
I have Slingbox. Love it. Use it all the time. Particularly when traveling. I use both the iPhone and iPad clients. iPad client, as one might expect, is more complete and easy to use. They share the advantage that they access my TV, my channels, my favorites, my channel numbers and names.

The Slingbox server is about $200-. The PC and Mac clients are free. The iPhone and iPad clients are priced. The iPhone client will work on both the iPhone and iPad for one price. There is a separately priced iPad only client. For my use and budget, it is worth the separate price.

While it is true that the quality of the picture that one receives is sensitive to the quality of the connection, both speed and continuity, bandwidth and latency, Sling degrades gracefully. It reduces the quality of the image before giving up altogether. Of course, it is the client-side connection to which the system is most sensitive. While it does work over 3G, it is data intensive. Depending upon your data plan and usage, use over 3G may be expensive. One should prefer WiFi when and where available.

The Slingbox is a server appliance. It has video input on one side and Ethernet output on the other. One hooks ones video source, e.g., cable box or personal video recorder, to one side and connects the other to one's Internet router (or modem).

Now, that said, an item in this week's New York Times suggested that my TV and Internet service provider, CableVision of Connecticut, is planning to offer its subscribers access to the programming to which they subscribe via the Internet. Such a service would eliminate the need for a user server like the Slingbox. The Times suggests that this kind of service is part of a strategy for the cable companies to compete with other service providers.

Last edited:

rdonegan

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
Well I have more confidence in the Slingbox now but from what I'm finding on that Vulkano product is that it is simply awesome! Slingbox capability, DVR capability and FREE players for all iOS devices is great (plus it's cheaper than the Slingbox). Reviews on Amazon looked great for the most part too.

Now to convice the wife that this isn't something we want...this is something we NEED.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Well I have more confidence in the Slingbox now but from what I'm finding on that Vulkano product is that it is simply awesome! Slingbox capability, DVR capability and FREE players for all iOS devices is great (plus it's cheaper than the Slingbox). Reviews on Amazon looked great for the most part too.

Now to convice the wife that this isn't something we want...this is something we NEED.

Have you tried keeping a list on the refrigerator door? I am not married but I have friends who swear by the strategy.

I find it interesting that the Vulkano uses an SD Card for storage. One can now get 64G SD cards. In punched cards, that is 64 box cars. In any case, it is a lot of storage and a lot of video.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Have you tried keeping a list on the refrigerator door? I am not married but I have friends who swear by the strategy.

I find it interesting that the Vulkano uses an SD Card for storage. One can now get 64G SD cards. In punched cards, that is 64 box cars. In any case, it is a lot of storage and a lot of video.

I record straight to the 2nd hard drive of my computer (500GB just for media). Waiting for a firmware update so that the bottom line Vulkano can successfully use any usb storage device (it's iffy now), but being able to record shows right to your hard drive is crazy wonderful.

rdonegan

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
I like some of the BBC shows but my main reason for watching live TV over the iPad is for simple things like watching a ball game on my patio without the hassle of bringing my cable and monitor out there.

And I've added the Vulkano on the "Need" list on the fridge (we'll see if the wife notices). It should be an easy sell because I'm getting the low end one for $120, then may purchase a SD card for it down the road for the DVR capability (although I'm planning on hooking the Vulkano up to a cable box w/ a DVR and from what I read, I can watch shows I've DVR'd on my iPad).

Now the next step is to load my DVD movies onto my iPad for a road trip next month. Looking like I have to download Handbrake to my PC for that (easier sell with the wife cuz it's FREE!).

btw, thanks for the help Alli! I'll start following your tweets.

Reactions: Alli

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Funny thing with the Vulkano. I had to have it (yea, I'm worse about having technology than a lot) and retired my Slingbox once I got it. I don't actually stream live tv much, but being able to record and download shows has been awesome.

Mind you, I find I'm recording shows for friends more often than myself! For instance, I record Big Bang Theory on Thursday nights for a friend in Germany. He downloads to his iPad and watches on Friday. Now I'm also recording the last few episodes of Stargate-Universe for a friend who doesn't have cable/satellite. I'll dropbox him the recording so that he can watch on his pc.

All the while I'm building my tv show library, so the next time I get on a plane I can rewatch every episode of BBT, cause I'll have downloaded them from the Vulkano player right to my iPhone.

Ain't technology great?!

teejaywhy

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I am very interested in the Vulkano, primarily as a method to download shows to my iPad and watch on the plane. Will all three models allow me to do this?

Thanks.

Tami

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
All 3 will allow you to save your shows. The only difference is where you save them. Low end model requires you save to your computer's hard drive. High end has a built in hard drive of its own.

rrife

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
DirecTV should have it soon

If you are a DirecTV subscriber, their remote control app will offer video streaming in the next few weeks.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I hope they are better informed than our carrier store employees! That would absolutely rock! (Yes, I'm a DTV customer.)

fyou80

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
I've been waiting for a simple solution that can somehow hook up to my cable where I can watch live television on my iPad throughout my wifi area. Mainly because I'd like the freedom of bringing the iPad out to the patio on a nice day or set up in the kitchen, etc.

I know there are a few products like Slingbox that enable you to do this but I've heard mixed reviews (plus I don't like the $30+ price tag for the app for EACH iOS device. Not willing to spend on a mediocre solution). I'm not really looking to link to my home cable via 3G or IP remotely, just something around my own wifi network.

Plus I'm looking for a decent picture (not distorted in anyway). I thought about getting a USB tuner to hook up to my laptop, then using a remote desktop app (like Splashtop) to link to my computer from my iPad but I'm not in love with this solution because there's already some distortion lookinmg at my desktop screen from my iPad.

Maybe this is a pipe dream for all I know. Any thoughts from the masses?
on tvQu Online it's simple without registration

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2