Walkabout iPad version

kam187

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

Hey guys.

I just made my first iPhone/iPad game. It has native 102x768 graphics so works without upscaling on the iPad.

Its called walkabout - the idea is to collect all the stars on each level, but as you walk the path beneath you disappears. You need to think about your route or you'll be stranded!

Feedback and comments on the App Store greatly appreciated!!

EDIT: Check out the new website for the latest news, walkthroughs and videos :)

Walkabout

App Store Links:

FREE Lite Version: Walkabout Lite for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

$0.99 Full Version: Walkabout for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Video:

YouTube - Walkabout! - Now available on App Store and Android!

Screenshots:

You can see iPad size screenshots at the App Store.

ntsyQ.jpg

MN5Sn.jpg

qUvtB.jpg

TqMpk.jpg

Last edited:

paul100

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
It has the features like these all below?? since I saw another app same like this walkabout for iPad.

* form-fit to securely protect your iPad, with safe magnetic clasps
* impact resistant
* access to all iPad ports and functions

kam187

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks!

Yeah, i wrote it using a game engine called corona. Let me know what you think :)

BTW I edited the video above for a better one!

iPadJay

Mar 4, 2011
www.gamesontheipad.com
Bought the full version. It is actually a really fun game to play. Well worth the $0.99!

I'll make sure I leave a good review in the App Store and as soon as I have some time I'll write a review about it on my blog. Nicely done!

Did you do the graphics and develop it all by yourself? It looks like a really polished game.

kam187

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks!

The main tile graphics are from LostGarden, and some Icons are from various free sources too. Some of these graphics have been used before, but I think i'm one of the first to use them properly with all shadows and multi layers. I spoke to the creator about them after I was finished :)

I modified some of the Icons, retinted, rescaled and that sort of thing to make it all fit together. The Level pages, titles, etc I did myself, and of course all the code.

All the tiles are in one openGL layer and i programatically keep track of them. This is to keep the game at top speed for slow devices. Its built for android too (on the Market if you have an android device too).

I made a seperate level editor on my PC which i used to design the levels - all by hand to make sure they are interesting!

The Music is from net4tv's open loops and converted from Midi to mp3, then faded and tweaked in audacity to make it loop (mp3's dont usually loop properly because the timing information gets lost)
Other sounds are from open resources.

All in all I probably put just as much work into finding resources that fit as coding the game itself!

kam187

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, my first game. I'm an experience coder and have made lots of applications, but never a game. Making a game seems to be totally different :/ Everything has to be cute and you have to check so many things in the game to make sure the player or items dont end up where they shouldnt be!

kam187

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
V1.3 just released on the App Store. The FREE Lite Version now has 17 levels - an entire game on its own! Give it a try :)

(Paid version has 72 levels - more are on their way)

kam187

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Sorry guys it seems imageshack change some policy and a lot of people couldn't see the images in the first post. I have changed image host and hopefully you can all see them now :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods