maps for navigation? (bb to iphone switcher)

fayek

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
hey all, i just switched from the blackberry platform to the iphone 4 last month and im super happy with it (still struggling with the iphone and autocorrect is a double edged sword) but anyways, one of the best features i loved about blackberry was their maps and they pretty decent navigation options. and it came free with the phone, available for all countries ( i live in egypt )

so a week ago i had a trip and i didnt know how ot get there so i opened up maps and plotted the directions but then i had no idea how to use it for navigation ( if there even is an option for that)

in case you dont know, blackberry maps gives you the directions and when you start navigation it shows you as an arrow pointing to the direction you are moving in, the map is always oriented to make you look like you're going forward. when you take a turn, the map rotates with you to keep you straight.

also the map shifts views when you go off screen to get you back to the middle of the screen so you can keep seeing your route without having to touch the phone at all...

im wondering if there's the same thing for the iphone maps. if there is i dont know how to get it, if not then are there any other free apps that do this? ive already looked for a bit but alot of the free navigation apps are for the states or other popular countries.

any help would be appreciated. thanks

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Google Maps on the iPhone does not give audiable directions. It will give you written directions step by step and lay out the course on the map. If you tap the locate arrow on the bottom left side after it locates you then it will use the compass to orient the map in the direction you are looking.

If you want full navigation you will need to get an app from the App Store. There is a whole section just for navigation apps and GPS.

fayek

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
i dont really want audio turn by turn... and i dont expect such a precise option to be free... i just wanted to know how i can use maps with the direction plotted to stay on my location for the entire trip like it does on the blackberry, instead of having to move around the map (and move around the phone itself to be looking forward (same way im driving)). as far as my limited experience has been, the bottom left corner button orients the map to be looking north o matter your own diving direction, and alot of the time doesnt even work and says there is too much interference.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox