Recent converts from Blackberrys

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Have you found a suitable app that mimics the Blackberry "Bedside manner mode"?

If you have - please do share :) This may be the one thing I miss from my Tour :)

ek9max

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I recently converted. Was the biggest blackberry fan alive. Cant say I miss it all really.

But now that your brought the bedside mode up.... Thats the only thing.

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Not familiar with what that did (didn't use it to my knowledge on my Pearl or Storm), but why not flip the switch on the side to set everything to vibrate? Alarms still go off, but that's the only noise you'll get aside from the vibration. Vibration can be muted by setting your iPhone on something soft.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
You could control 'bedside mode' to be silent for everything but phone calls - that's what I'm looking for - the mute switch makes phone calls go silent too - I don't want that.

theswami

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
As a new VZW iPhone user coming from a Storm 1 I am missing the profiles immensely (for work and home...I had 5 custom profiles in addition to the standard settings). So far the closest we can get to bedside mode is to have your switch on the side toggled to sound and then in the settings change all the toggles to off except the ringer/alerts. Fortunately for me, I do not use the notifications for various apps so I do not need to go the extra step to toggle them off as well. Unfortunately, I think my method still pushes text alerts through with sound.

One rigged option is to create a custom alert for text tones which is essentially silence. I am not sure if iPhone would allow this but it seems like a potential option. Hmmm...I will have to try that this weekend once I figure out how to make custom tones.

theswami

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
As a new VZW iPhone user coming from a Storm 1 I am missing the profiles immensely (for work and home...I had 5 custom profiles in addition to the standard settings). So far the closest we can get to bedside mode is to have your switch on the side toggled to sound and then in the settings change all the toggles to off except the ringer/alerts. Fortunately for me, I do not use the notifications for various apps so I do not need to go the extra step to toggle them off as well. Unfortunately, I think my method still pushes text alerts through with sound.

One rigged option is to create a custom alert for text tones which is essentially silence. I am not sure if iPhone would allow this but it seems like a potential option. Hmmm...I will have to try that this weekend once I figure out how to make custom tones.

I looked at the phone and I think the way to handle this is to select "None" for Text Tone. So keep the sound switch on, toggle all other sounds (calendar, mail, etc.) to off, toggle vibrate to off (turn off all notifications), change your text tone to none and turn off all other notifications (in the settings) and that should be equivalent to bedside mode. Not an easy as a BB profile but this should work.

theswami

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Only thing I miss from my Bberry is the profiles,(and battery life!) really miss that on my VZW iphone.
Don't want to deal with jail breaking

I cannot believe how easy it is to jailbreak compared to using a unofficial BB OS. I did not have reload anything on my jailbroken iPhone.

icebox93

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
marc: Jailbreaking went extremely easy for me, it was not a time consuming process. I think from start to finish from starting the jailbreak program to pulling the phone off was less than 10 minutes. And among the neat UI tweaks you can get once jailbroken there is an app on Cydia that lets you set up profiles. Risk/reward ratio is heavily in favor of reward when it comes to jailbreaking, in my limited experience.

Mark

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
From a quick google, GreenPois0n is apparently able to jailbreak OS 4.2.6 - will have to look into this further.

busyme

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I didn't use bedside mode, but I did have my phone turn off at 11pm and back on at 5, so nothing came through during that time period.

Anybody know if there is a way to do that?

theswami

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
marc: Jailbreaking went extremely easy for me, it was not a time consuming process. I think from start to finish from starting the jailbreak program to pulling the phone off was less than 10 minutes. And among the neat UI tweaks you can get once jailbroken there is an app on Cydia that lets you set up profiles. Risk/reward ratio is heavily in favor of reward when it comes to jailbreaking, in my limited experience.

Mark

Which Cydia profiles app did you use on your jailbroken iPhone 4 with the 4.2.6 OS? I installed Auto Profiles and cannot get it to work.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Looks like I found the solution... or at least one that I can make work easily: jailbreak and get MyProfiles app. Since jailbreaking, I also got ToneFXs and got the custom email sound I have on my computer on my phone.... and also how to get my custom ringtones I made for my BB Tour onto my iPhone via iTunes. Got things set up like my BB Tour. :)