Speak to text app

Nht

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
I do a lot if texting while I drive but would really like to follow traffic laws and safety. Is there a good app that I speak out what I want to text? I think something like this can really save lives.

hopper

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I use Dragon Dictation and Vlingo. Dragon Dictation has markedly better speach recognition and is free. Vlingo charges for the texting application and is not near as good at the speach to text conversion, but will accept voice commands to specify to whom you want to text or email.

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm also searching for a good speech-to-text app. I considered Dragon Dictation but read that it imports all of your "contact info" onto their servers and users/customers are not happy with that feature. I'm not sure if I'm happy with that also . . . for now, it's keeping me from downloading that app

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
I'm also searching for a good speech-to-text app. I considered Dragon Dictation but read that it imports all of your "contact info" onto their servers and users/customers are not happy with that feature. I'm not sure if I'm happy with that also . . . for now, it's keeping me from downloading that app

there's an option in the app to turn that feature off. I have it on and don't feel concerned. Nuance has been around a long time and they are a reputable company. I don't think they would knowingly put anyone's data in danger.

If you use Gmail or Facebook, and keep contacts, your probably in as much, if not more, danger.

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
there's an option in the app to turn that feature off. I have it on and don't feel concerned. Nuance has been around a long time and they are a reputable company. I don't think they would knowingly put anyone's data in danger.

If you use Gmail or Facebook, and keep contacts, your probably in as much, if not more, danger.

Thanks for the info . . I was unaware that the feature was optional. I'm interested in either Dragon Dictation or Vlingo also . . have you used both? Do you have a preference?

thanks

iNitvizn

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I use Dragon Dictation all of the time - the recognition is not always 100% accurate, but it's dead on more often than not. I love it.

Like mentioned above - the option to upload your contact data is optional. I haven't tried any others because I haven't had a resason to do so...DD fits the bill :cool:

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I use Dragon Dictation all of the time - the recognition is not always 100% accurate, but it's dead on more often than not. I love it.

Like mentioned above - the option to upload your contact data is optional. I haven't tried any others because I haven't had a resason to do so...DD fits the bill :cool:

Do you have this option enabled or disabled? I'm confused why anyone would enable this option??? What benefit would an option like this have for a "voice recognition" app??

wcarlson40#IM

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Um, you want in ON because if you dictate "Dear Mr. Lachowski" you want it to spell the name correctly rather than get "Dear Mr. Live cow ski".