Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Prime

Default PCalc 2.3 promo code give away!

PCalc, one of our favorite iPhone and iPad calculator apps, has just hit version 2.3, and in celebration the developer has very kindly offered us a bunch of promo codes to give away. To you.

Let's make this one simple, shall we? Give us your best, most creative way to let people know about the PCalc update (other than doing a promo code give-away or adding some angry feathered creatures to the app, of course), we'll pick the ones we like best, and you'll get a great app for free. Sound good?

Then get going! Post your idea below!

[$9.99 - ]
    iPhone Newbie

Create a QR code for the post describing the update. Place the code in some ad space with no description. Let people's curiosity do the rest.
    iPhone Nanite

I bet if you put in a hidden feature that uses the volume button to snap pictures the app would be in the top ten immediately. It would remain there just long enough for apple to pull it. The you can re-release with the feature "removed", unless you know the secret to turn it back on.......

Wait...this is a calculator! Nevermind I guess. Unless....no that wouldn't work either. Guess you stuck spending some advertising dollars.
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version

Give free copies to the Chilean miners and it will be all over the news!
    iPhone Nanite

The main focus of PCalc 2.3's update is the fact that you can take advantage of the additional screen size on the iPad. There are other great updates, but this is the main one. So doing an advertisement (either on TiPb or some other website - especially sites geared for scientists, engineers, programmers, and students) would be the best way to go. I think that you could have an on-screen "splash" ad that happens when you open that page (or even 5-10 seconds after you open it - a delayed effect). You would have an image of a very small calculator that suddenly starts to grow bigger and bigger until it completely fills the screen with a screen shot of the iPad app. Then in the calculator's display (where you would see the numbers as you type them in) you could "type in" the app name and other info about it and where to go to buy it.

Another concept could be a video/commercial that shows the screen shot of the iPad app. There would be someone in the background talking about Apple's iPad (or iTunes/iPhone/iPod/Mac) statistics and each time they mention a number it gets "punched in" to the PCalc app and "adds" up. Since Apple is announcing their quarterly financial results on Monday you could use those "numbers" as your stats to be punched in to show Apple's financial results.
    cbm
    iPhone Newbie

I haven't used PCalc, but DragThing, a Mac app by the same developer is everything the Apple Dock should have been.

One promo idea is to have equations the results of which spell silly words in the calculator display.
    iPhone Nanite

Talking

Have the name of the app on Rene's coffee cup, and on Georgia's shirt during the next iPhone live on Wednesday night! :P
    Thanked by:
    Asunners (11-03-2010)
    iPhone Newbie

Everyone knows the iPad is for games.
    And all the MMOGs play best when you can understand the math.
    So a video showing a player calculating Weapons, Speed, Defense, Luck etc and winning an online battle with a much better equipped player would have every 15 year old wanting PCalc to strategize. And the country would have better engineers to boot.
    iPhone Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by blyths View Post
    Give free copies to the Chilean miners and it will be all over the news!
    very creative idea,
    Thanked by:
    blyths (10-17-2010)
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

A mysterious viral twitter campaign?
    iPhone Nanite

Since PCalc has a big 42 on their icon, maybe they can have a contest to win an iPad by getting registered users to get an answer of 42 by pressing all of the numbers and function buttons once (except the clear button). They can call it the "Question to the Meaning of Life, the Universe, and Everything Contest". If it is easy to get, then have a drawing for all correct answers. Maybe have some mice promote the contest.
    iPhone Nanite

Lightbulb Win a Date with Georgia!

I don't know if Georgia is single but if she is, hold a drawing over the next month for one new user of the app to win a date with her. You can't go wrong using her good looks and charm!

If it's a female winner, I suppose Rene will do.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Shouting the news whilst riding naked on the back of a Donkey?
    iPhone Nanite

Well, well, well...the showcase part of the new improvements is the 'paper tape, RPN stack, or memories onscrean'...and to promote those it would be fun to have user's, while accessing the developer's website, have to subtract one (-1), from the total promo codes, so that the 'paper stack' shows one less promo code left every time a user deducts one promo code. Of course user's would not be give directions...they would have to figure out on their own that they needed to substract ONE to get a promo code. This would in turn showcase exactly what the major enhancement of the new version.
    iPhone Nanite

Default Temporarily reduce the price

The best way to let people know about the PCalc update is to temporarily reduce the price. Maybe from $9.99 to $3.99 for a few days. When I was recently looking for a good calc in app store I found that all good ones are around $10, which is pretty high to pay for calc without trying it out first. PCalc is a great calc and I think that temporarily reducing price will skyrocket the sales. Thanks.
    iPhone Newbie

Tattoo pCalc on my forehead and tell everyone who asks about my tattoo
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts

pCalc on iPad speaking: "Hey, iPad users. Look at your iPad. Now back to me...now back to your iPad...now back to me. Sadly, your iPad isn't me. But it could work like me with the new release of pCalc for your iPad. Now you are in a game room considering your next move. Look at me, I am calculating your strategy, all from the comfort of your iPad. Get me, pCalc, rated best calculator App for your iPhone and iPad by TiPb: The #1 iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch blog, on your iPad today in the iTunes store."

Thanks to techmom for the gaming room idea.
    iPhone Newbie

i will like a promo codes aswell plz
     iPhone 4 32GB  iMac 27 Inch  iPad Wifi 32GB  iPod Touch 16GB  iPod Video 30GB  iPod Shuffle 1GB 