iPhone Desktop Notifier

seismik

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Looking for something that would pop up a notification of new calls, texts, voice mails, etc on my desktop - when my iPhone is plugged into it. Why? Basically because I often have my ringer off at work and short of having my phone in my pocket I often miss calls. Is there anything like that that anyone has seen?

Idea came from seeing the Android equivalent:Android Notifier Desktop

What would be the hard part about creating such an app? I guess Apple has made the desktop to iPhone API pretty restricted but I have just heard that as a vague comment in passing.

seis

Slyfi

TiPb Forum Staff
Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
i think the best way would be to route it through some other API or API accepter (such as tweetdeck) that way it can be implemented on a lot of system with out any extra downloading (for the most part) by users. but then again how often are you at your computer with out you IP4 sitting with-in ear shot

seismik

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
It may be that no one would be into it besides me - but I think it would be cool. Someone calls, I see the number on my screen and mouse click to send to voice mail or I could take the call. Sort of like an integrated setup in a newer car with bluetooth handsfree.

Slyfi

TiPb Forum Staff
Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
i could see it being an option that many people might like but theres whole lot of questions like will you have to bluetooth sync it with your computer (something many dont have) will it work over a wifi network (like peer sharing) or will it involve something like google voice? i think this is an idea that would have to be implimented on a larger scale then just iphone because its sending call statuses something not done by 3rd party apps on an iphone. if anything it would be a service AT&T would sell (unfortunatly) and we all know how well AT&t is with this sort of idea

seismik

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking pretty simple -- be plugged in and you need to have iTunes open. From there some "plug-in" could connect in and receive a push notification that a call is coming in, or a text has come in and then pull the info from the iPhone.

Technically impossible?

Slyfi

TiPb Forum Staff
Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
its all possible its more a matter of oking it with apple.
and what your sugesting is having an app that runs through there coveted itunes

maybe on a jb device something could be arranged (im no proponet of jbing)

but it wouldnt be an app persay

its just hard to imagine a use for this when if your phone has to be plugged into your computer and your using that computer then it seems kinda idk redundent

aestival

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't think that Apple approves of using the USB cable as a notification tether like you're suggesting -- pushing caller ID information to a computer would be a challenge in any case -- but the poster who mentioned Bluetooth may be on the right track. Of course, I'm talking about iPhones that haven't been hacked, which is why Apple's rules would matter to a developer.

jackso#IM

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
There are several desktop based clients for monitoring your Gmail emails
In past we have reviewed up2date desktop client for Gmail and Gmail Manager Firefox extension to manage multiple Gmail accounts today we have got yet another lightweight Gmail notifier, spiffy.

Spiffy is a small utility to check 2 Gmail accounts at the same time. It runs in the system tray and shows a popup when new e-mail arrives. Spiffy is compatible with Windows 7, Vista, XP.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2