CONTEST: Distant Suns 3 Giveaway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
Distant Suns 3: Space Travel for the Rest of Us is a universal iPhone & iPad application that puts the universe in your hands.

• View from the Earth or out in the solar-system with the new Spaceflight mode
  • Compass aware for the 3GS and iPad. Just aim and identify.
  • Over 130,000 pinpoint stars scintillating like diamond dust in the palm of your hand
  • Realistic ghostly band of the Milky Way
  • All 88 constellations with images and articles on their mythology
  • Viewpoint Lock keeps any planet centered
  • Current weather patterns on the earth, updated every 3 hours
  • Preference panel to change the way stars are rendered in over a dozen different ways.
  • The Messier catalog of galaxies, nebula and star clusters
  • Dozens of photos from the Hubble Space Telescope
  • All 8 planets (Pluto is optional)
  • GPS aware
  • Red interface to preserve your night vision
  • What's Up? Gives a quick one snapshot overview of where all of the important stuff is
  • Point and Identify mode reveals a wealth of hidden data for each star, planet or deep-sky object
  • Planetary data and information
In anticipation of the Perseid Meteor Shower on Thursday, August 12, the folks over at First Light have provided us with 14 promo codes to give away! Winners will be able to use the app to assist in their stargazing for the event. How do you win? Let us know your favorite planet and constellation and why. The contest begins now and ends Thursday, August 12 at 3 PM EST. (A US iTunes account is required to win. Apple's rule, not ours!)

Distant Suns 3 - iTunes link
Planets Align for the Perseid Meteor Shower - NASA Science

Last edited:

gadgetman#CB

Oct 9, 2008
Visit site
My favorite planet is Mars because that's where our eventual alien overlords will come from. My favorite constellation is Lyra because that's where the star Vega is; and this is where humans will go to escape the Martian invasion.

We'll use Distant Suns 3 to get there!

:)

Brian

KevinM#IM

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Of course, my favorite planet is Uranus. I love looking at it.

Actually, I do. I've always liked its pale blue color and its off-axis (to us) ring structure, and when a cloud or atmospheric disturbance pops up, it stands out from a million miles away (literally!).

Plus, it drives my wife crazy when I make stupid Uranus jokes.

davecotter

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Andromeda Galaxy!

Cuz it just looks SO AWESOME in your telescope! Does that count as a constellation? If not, i'll pick Orion. Cuz, how cool is Orion? Yes i know the Lizzies came from there, but like the Klingons many of them are trying to heal their angry past and become more noble. :D

I also really like Betelgeuse just cuz it's SO! DARND! BIG!!! :eek: Does that count as a planet? probably not, okay so for a planet i'd have to pick Phobos, cuz i think Buzz is totally right on!

scottder

Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
Jupiter

My current favorite is Jupiter, recently got a set of 15x70 binoculars and got a lovely view of Jupiter and 3 of it's moons (not shabby for living in light polluted suburbia). I love having astronomy programs on my iPhone, however I don't currently own Distant Suns and would love to give a try for my next night of viewing.

Scott

srieger1

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I would say Jupiter is the coolest planet. Not only because of the size but also the red spot, a giant storm that has been going on for centuries. Add on the fact that there isn't a surface and it is liquid makes it the top in my book.

kilsey

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Favorite celestial body is Pluto, because I feel badly for it :( You'll always be a planet in my eyes little buddy!

Favorite Constellation is Cassiopeia, because I like Ws. (also? easy to find due to W shape :D)

C4Christ01

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
My favorite planet is Saturn because of the rings around it.

My favorite constellation is the big dipper because it is easy to find and it is a good reference for finding some of the other constellations.

jmleib

Sep 26, 2008
Visit site
Ok, not a planet or constellation, but...

I'd have to say the moon.

When I went to space camp as a kid about 20 years ago, Good Morning America filmed us for a while, and my 3 second claim-to-fame national TV appearance was me saying "I'd love to land on the moon."

Hey, it could still happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73