Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version
    5 GM

Default iBooks problem

Hey guys, just got iBooks and whenever I try to download the free Winnie the Pooh book the progress bar will move all the way across as if it's finished but it won't actually finish at all.

I went to Store -> Purchased -> Redownload but it still didn't work at all.

Haven't tried any other books because I don't want to waste any money yet.

Anyone else having this issue or have any tips? Thanks
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Cannot duplicate the issue! It works for me!
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    19,870 Global Posts

Winnie the Pooh came with the download of iBooks

Current Phones: iOS, Android, Windows Phone, BlackBerry OS & WebOS
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,197 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
    Hey guys, just got iBooks and whenever I try to download the free Winnie the Pooh book the progress bar will move all the way across as if it's finished but it won't actually finish at all.

exact same issue and the other books on my iTunes wont show up on my book shelf....what a pos!

*update: I just deleted iBooks from my phone. It kept asking to sync and no mater if I hit continue or Dont Sync I would enter my CORRECT password and it would pop up asking me the same thing again. This on top of the fact NO BOOKS show on my shelf...no thanks...I'll wait and try it on my iPhone 4 in a few days!
    Last edited by BrianT; 06-21-2010 at 11:27 PM.

 iPhone 5S - 64GB Space Grey
     iPad Mini - 32GB Black
     Apple TV 2nd Gen
     MacBook Pro - 250GB Aluminum Unibody
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I don't think the syncing will be working until the iPad and other iPhones all have the same version, but maybe I am wrong about that. I don't really know exactly how the sync is suppose to work, but clearly that part isn't working. I am able to download stuff I already download to my iPad though. I get no error messages or pop ups.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,197 Global Posts

the iPad is on the same version now. It shows as a universal binary and my iPad updated the iBooks app as I can now view/read PDF's on it. I cant do ANYTHING on my iPhone though its all empty even though iTunes showed it sync all 4 books.

 iPad Mini - 32GB Black
     Apple TV 2nd Gen
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

I have the same issue......

Quote Originally Posted by RyanR View Post

iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,197 Global Posts

dang this is annoying...i guess i will wait another day or two till i get my iPhone 4 and hope it works on there.

 iPad Mini - 32GB Black
     Apple TV 2nd Gen
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

I have the same exact problem and i'm not getting an iPhone 4 so any idea on a fix?
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    221 Global Posts

I was able to download the free Winnie the Pooh and also purchased a book to see how I would enjoy reading on the iPhone. When I have a book open and then go to Library and try to open another bookl, I often get a "Failed to load book because the requested resource is missing." error. After a few attempts, it will open.

Other than that, I love this app. I have a dedicated e-reader and never thought I'd enjoy reading on my phone but iBooks is nice. The one thing this app really needs though is pinch/zoom or any kind of zoom. The book I'm reading has a bunch of embedded image of an e-mail exchange that's essential to the story, but since you can't zoom in I have to read it with a magnifying glass.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

I've uninstalled and reinstalled a few times...Same issue.....I'm not getting the iP 4 either....A fix would be great to share between iPad and iPhone....

Quote Originally Posted by mtthwsms View Post
    I have the same exact problem and i'm not getting an iPhone 4 so any idea on a fix?
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    221 Global Posts

Just downloaded the latest version of the Kindle app and it does support pinch/zoom. I also like the formatting better on the Kindle software. It seems to be able to fit more text on the page than the iBook version while still maintaining readability. There's also the much bigger selection of books.

On the downside, it's not nearly as smooth or as slick as iBooks page turning animations. The purchase/preview is also clumsy compared to iBooks/iTunes because it has to open a browser to Amazon.