Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Guru

1,522 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,608 Global Posts

Default Review: iWeather Complete Pro

iWeather Complete Pro, by VITEB Solutions PBT
    $1.99, ***1/2

• Everything on one screen (just about)
    • Lots of data available

• Interface can seem a little slow at times
    • Some difficulty finding locations

The search for the ultimate weather app continues! Previously, myCast was the front runner, but with a nice looking interface and the promise of many features, iWeather Complete Pro turns in a strong performance.
    iWeather Complete Pro (the ad supported version of the app is available for free as iWeather Complete) has a nice, sleek interface. Unlike most weather apps with multiple tabs (usually across the top or the bottom), iWeather Complete Pro tries to keep most of the information on the same screen. You then expand various parts of the screen for more detailed data. Want a detailed forecast for next Tuesday? Click on the little arrow to expand that forecast for that day, and you will now get the forecast for that night as well. Want an hour by hour view of today? Click on the today button. Want to see when the next full moon is? Click on the moonphase button.

I like the overall design of having the information all available on one screen. However, when expanding various parts of the screen, I have noticed that it seems a little sluggish at times. This shouldn’t be happening too often on my iPhone 3GS, so I wonder if there might be a programming glitch or something like that.

The one time you really bring up a new screen is to view the maps. There are only four available – radar, infrared, webcam, and “map”. These are brought up by tapping the satellite dish icon on the main page. Unfortunately, they don’t seem to be animated, nor are the variety of options that many other apps have for weather map overlays.

You also only have one setting option. You can choose either Fahrenheit or Celsius as the default scale – but on the main screen you can still switch back and forth between them. This seems like a waste to me – why not simply leave it as the last viewed option as the default, why do you need to bring up a whole separate screen just for this one setting? That seems to go against the idea of the app – having everything in one place.

It also seems to be a little redundant when it comes to locations. You have a button for “search”, another button for “recents”, and a third button for your bookmarks. Surely there would be some way to combine these together into one screen!

In terms of the information provided, you do get a fair amount of detail. In addition to standard weather data (temperature, humidity, dewpoint, etc) you also get sunrise and sunset times, wind speed and direction, whind chill, barometer, UV index, visibility, and the high and low temperatures. You can see the average temperature for the month (clicking on averages) but they don’t include any other averages (humidity or precipitation, for example). You do get the moonphase, which I mentioned previously. This is something that I haven’t seen in other apps. Of course, there are things that I always wish were included – total precipitation amount, pollen index, and others.

One of the biggest drawbacks to this app seems to be how it identifies locations. While you can shake for the “current” location (which seems to work fine), I had some problems when searching for locations. I typed in Edinburg, TX, and it didn’t find any location. Of course, rather than tell me this, it just showed the weather screen with no data. I then tried Edinburg, Texas, and I got some data. So it seems to be very particular about how you enter city locations.

All in all, this is a nice looking weather app that tries to literally put most of the data just one touch away. It has a nice amount of information, including some things that I haven’t seen on other apps (notable the moonphase), but in some areas (the weather maps) it seems a little lacking. At $1.99, it is reasonably priced, and there is a free, ad supported version as well. If you want something that looks nice, and has a little more data than the built in weather app, iWeather Complete Pro might be for you. Three and a half out of five stars.

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
    ** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
    *** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
    **** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
    ***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating. 
    Last edited by cjvitek; 05-27-2010 at 10:31 AM.