iPad and iPhone: Universal Apps or Separate?

Muero

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
Someone else asked me this question while I was talking about the new iPad with them, and I thought others might be interested in this info.

Question

"I realize that iPhone apps will run on the iPad, but once iPad apps start coming out, will they be a separate download (and have to pay again) or will it be included in the download with the iPhone app?"

Answer

With the introduction of iPad, iPhone SDK 3.2 now supports development of three types of applications: iPhone apps, iPad apps and Universal apps.

? iPhone Applications. iPhone applications are optimized to run on iPhone and iPod touch. These applications run on iPad in their original resolution or can be optionally set to be pixel- doubled to accommodate for the larger display.

? iPad Applications. iPhone SDK 3.2 supports the development of iPad applications that are optimized to take advantage of iPad features, but run only on iPad.

? Universal Applications. iPhone SDK 3.2 supports the development of Universal applications. A Universal app is optimized to run on all iPhone OS devices?itʼs essentially an iPhone app and an iPad app built as a single binary.

Apple recommends that iPhone OS developers design, code and build their applications as Universal applications. Building apps as Universal apps makes it easier for everyone. Itʼs easier for developers because thereʼs only one app to manage on the App Store. Itʼs easier for users because theyʼll know that it runs on any device they own.

So it looks like, for example, the New York Times could include the iPad app with the already-free iPhone app (which would make it a universal app), or they could make it a separate app if they think the better experience deserves to be paid for.

I'm hoping developers include the higher-resolution iPad-optimized apps so those of us who have already bought quite a few iPhone apps don't have to pay again, but I bet some developers will try to sell them separately.

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I would hope it would be cross platform just like the iPod / iTouch exchange currently is... wouldn't make much sense if some of these weren't cross compatible.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2