Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Guru

1,522 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,608 Global Posts

Default Review: Print n Share

Print n Share, by Eurosmartz Ltd.
    $6.99, ***1/2

• Wireless printing from your iPhone
    • Lots of printing options

• Still need a computer
    • Some options are confusing to set up

My wife and I just got a new wireless printer to go with our wireless network. When we got the printer, I decided to try the wireless printing app that is “recommended” to go with Epson printer – Print n Share. This app is purported to allow wireless printing from your iphone, including pictures, contacts, email, web pages – just about anything you can see on your iPhone.

So does it work? Yes, pretty much it does. I tested printing some pictures, printing a file from my mobileme account, printing an email, and they all worked with relatively little pain. When printing, you can choose the printer, the number of copies, etc. Depending on the printer you have, you can also specify the paper tray (at least I could on my printer). When applicable, you can also specify the image size and orientation (like with pictures you print). Unfortunately, you can’t specify print quality (draft or high quality). Nor do they allow all the special features that are included with a printer (like mine can duplex, which I can’ do with the iPhone app).

Setting up the various options can be somewhat confusing. I normally like to jump in without reading instructions, but I had to peruse the instructions before setting up my mobileme account. Email was easier; because it comes we pre-defined settings for mail servers, but I wish it just allowed you to import your mail setting! You can also use an WebDAV account to store files for printing as well. Everything else was pretty easy to identify for setting up.

The app also allows for some bonus features. You can mount the iPhone like a wifi hard drive for dragging and dropping files. You can view office files, zip and unzip files, edit text documents, and browse the web! Heck, it even has fully featured email built right in. So the app is not solely limited to printed – basically if there is something you might want to print, the app has a method of allowing you to access that file, image, documents, email, and ultimately print it.

However, I was disappointed by one thing – it is not truly independent of the computer. In order to print something, you need to run it through a computer server which is running the WePrint software. So if you computer is off, or the program is not running in the background, you are unable to print. I don’t know why the app can’t connect directly with the printer instead of running through the computer – this would be TRUE wireless printing. This right there is enough for me to lower the rating by one star since you can’t simply turn on your iPhone and print.

All in all, the app adds some nice functionality to the iPhone.
    While I don’t envision printing too often from my iPhone, it is nice to be able to do so. The price of the app ($6.99) is somewhat high, although the app adds a plethora of features to try to entice you into the purchase. If nothing else, being able to access just about ANY kind of information you might want to print is reason to consider the app! However, I feel the app loses a little because it requires the use of a computer server and doesn’t have truly independent wifi printing. For this reason I give it three and a half out of five stars – a nice app to add some functionality, loaded with features, but the price and the limits on printing pull it down.

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
    ** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
    *** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
    **** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
    ***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating.
    iPhone Guru

1,604 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,631 Global Posts

thanks for that review because i was looking into this app
    iPhone Elite

1,986 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,026 Global Posts

it's not bad, it's not great.