National Parks Companion App

Catamounts

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Hello folks! I would like to announce my first ever application for the iPhone: The National Parks Companion

I have meticulously compiled information on every National Park, Monument, Battlefield, and Historic Site in the United States (including Puerto Rico, Guam, and other US Territories) into an easy-to-use app.

Each record contains a description of the Park with accompanying photo, Park Contact information as well as Park Fees and Registration information as published by the NPS.

Data for 450+ parks is contained within the app so no signal is required! Perfect for when you're out in the wilderness.

Product Website (More Screenshots and Info): http://nationalparkscompanion.com

iTunes Link: Click here to Download

mzl.irtjtvgw.jpg

Enjoy!

Catamounts

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Promo Codes

Just wanted to bump this up with some promo codes:

J9LPTWRKWR3Y
9RP9XF3FFPTW
H7RRMXFK77N4
JTMJ63T4P79M

If you use one, I would appreciate your positive review

Merry Christmas everyone!

Last edited:

Catamounts

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback flyingember. Please be more specific as again this is my first app. What specifically needs a ton of work? Did you find a bug?

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I like to go to National parks. In a 7 day trip to New England my wife and myself went to 4 of them so I know my way around the NPS website.

Selecting the specific park is easy, clear and I love the photos. you do appear to have them all (or close to it) From there it goes downhill.

I want to tap on the address and get a map. Better yet, I don't want their official address (which can be in the closest city) but the address of the main ranger station/visitor center inside the park.

the contact link is kind of pointless since it just gives me a form on the nps site. give me an email address that opens up a mail message

the park pages look like they don't belong in the app. blue links with underlines feels like a page without css in IE 6.

when I bring up park info I have two different buttons. close and back. they both do different things. the back button should return to the park info page, not just add another.

no hours, park rules, etc. some parks have 10x the detail on the website as you have

a lot of the text goes off screen to the left and right. some scroll boxes are really small

Catamounts

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
That's good feedback. I'm working on improvements to the UI in the next release as well as additional cleanup of the underlying data.

I had spent about a full day cleaning up and manually filling in gaps in the initial NPS data pull with the goal of getting a complete data set for the first release. The next version will address many of the UI / formatting items that you mentioned.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2