Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Intermediate

125 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,013 Global Posts

Default Text-to-Speech (TTS) software for iPhone?

My girlfriend's two gorgeous 14-year old twins are autistic. One of them has more of a problem with speaking than the other, and we found this app called "Speechify" in the AppStore. It is basically a very simple (and bug-filled) program that lets you input text and a voice of your choice speaks what you've written. This seemed like a good idea for the girls after they typed on the glass, quite effortlessly and free of any errors, to my astonishment, as a possible method for them to express themselves better.

Are there any applications for this that anyone recommend out of the 100,000 apps-strong AppStore?

Any alternative suggestions, including non-iPhone related, are also greatly appreciated.
    iPhone Nanite

8 Posts
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

There are a couple that seem worth checking out:
    Acapela and SpeakIt! Acapela is super simple and uses a woman's voice when speaking. SpeakIt! allows you to choose the voice from a list of choices (i.e. British male, American woman, etc.) SpeakIt! might be more fun for the kids