Voice to Text and Text to Voice app

dmelvin

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

A friend of mine is considering getting her daughter an iPhone for Christmas but is wondering if there is an app(s) that allow the daughter to send and receive text messages while driving. The idea being the incoming message would come across as a voice and she could speak her message to send out.

I've searched the forum but can't find anything so I'm wondering does an app or apps like this exist?

The iPhone is not likely going to be jailbroken (just in case you're wondering).

Thanks,

Darryl

alfred_1986

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Shoutout is an iPhone application which will convert the voice to text SMS. This app has not been launched in iTunes. It will be released in the near future. So, have an eye on this app.

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
I've been playing with the new Dragon Dictation app this morning and it seems to work great for voice to text. But, you still have to handle the device to make the recording and send it to email or SMS.

dmelvin

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Dragon Dictation

Thanks for the information. I can't find the app in the Itunes store, I think it is because I'm in Canada.

I'll wait until it's available here.

Darryl

eldiablojoe

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
you have different apps in the appstore because you're into hockey, curling, saying "Eh," and thinking touks? I figured you'd go to the same apple.com as everyone else and not some apple.ca

?

dmelvin

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
North of the Boarder

Eh? Now that we're between periods I ran back to my igloo to check out the Forum ;) and you're right I go to the apple.com and into the app store but no matter how many different ways I type dragon dictation my search comes up blank, happens on my iPhone and computer which is why i attributed it to my location.

Maybe a fellow Canuck can chime in and tell me if they can find it or tell me what i'm doing wrong. :)

Darryl

dmelvin

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the link but without a US address I can't create an account, I can't use paypal beause it wants a valid US funding source. There are different app stores when i tried to enter my current account information I was redirected to the Canadian store.

Guess I'll just have to wait an hope its released for Canadian residents soon.

Thanks for your help. :)

Darryl

dawggg63

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
They must be tweaking the app to recognize words like "oot" and "aboot", eh? Dragon dictation works well, but JohnH is right, it is not hands free. Probably just as well... most of us don't need another distraction while driving.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I like dragon dictation also. But as others have said, you still need to look at the device. Tell your friend to tell their daughter to ignore the phone while driving. She'll live longer.

dmelvin

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
texting and driving

Ignoring the phone while driving would be the logical and sensible thing to do BUT she is a teenager and they know what's best right?

Darryl :)

DainBramage1

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Dragon Dictation is useful and can be a great substitute for typing, but wow, a parent looking for a way to make it easier for a young driver to reply to texts seems pretty misguided!

dmelvin

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the input everyone. I've shared your comments and thoughts with my friend. She did get her daughter an iPhone and "told her not to text while driving". We'll see how that goes.

Darryl

applesauce

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I've tried Dragon Voice while driving, and with the road noise it hasn't been very accurate. Or maybe it just doesn't like my voice :eek:)

Marne
applesauceblog.com

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods