Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Guru

Global Posts
    1,631 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Whats the best GPS app for the money??

I am driving from NJ to Canada next week and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for me?? Thank you

I need something that works well and doesnt cost too much...anyone?

Note: A GPS app with US and Canada Maps
    Join me on Facebook and check out my group: Hack-My-I
    Note: Pls let me know if u are on TiPb while sending me a friend request so i can send u an invitation to the group, Thanks!
    Follow Me on Twitter and I will Follow You Back
    Blk iPhone 4 32GB
    White iPad2 16gb wi-fi: hack-my-i Edition

iCANT Customize MY iPHONE. AGAIN. (iOS4 UPDATE!!!) Sign this Petition and let your voice be heard!!
    iPhone Newbie

try GPS Drive Motion x, $2.99 I like it for the price
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iPhone Guru

Global Posts
    1,631 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by jnewman33 View Post
    try GPS Drive Motion x, $2.99 I like it for the price
    im looking at it now, so after 30 days, i have to purchase it again?
    Note: Pls let me know if u are on TiPb while sending me a friend request so i can send u an invitation to the group, Thanks!
    Blk iPhone 4 32GB

iCANT Customize MY iPHONE. AGAIN. (iOS4 UPDATE!!!) Sign this Petition and let your voice be heard!!
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    737 Global Posts

Navigon. It is pricey, but worth it. It beats CoPilot and TomTom hands down.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iPhone Guru

Global Posts
    1,631 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod View Post
    Navigon. It is pricey, but worth it. It beats CoPilot and TomTom hands down.
    dammit!! i wish i would have known about that before i bought my POS portable GPS
    Blk iPhone 4 32GB

iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    737 Global Posts

yeah I have a two year old garmin and I love Navigon on my phone, but the Garmin still has a place on my dash for some trips. If it is a long trip or a complicated trip, it is too much of a pain the **** to keep the Navigon app running while I'm listening to podcasts, calling people, and checking mail.
    So don't give up on the standalone GPS yet.

The iPhone app is awesome for quick trips or when I fly to other cities.
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS5

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod View Post
    yeah I have a two year old garmin and I love Navigon on my phone, but the Garmin still has a place on my dash for some trips. If it is a long trip or a complicated trip, it is too much of a pain the **** to keep the Navigon app running while I'm listening to podcasts, calling people, and checking mail.
    So don't give up on the standalone GPS yet.

The iPhone app is awesome for quick trips or when I fly to other cities.
    Great point, hence not wanting to pay 90 bucks for a passive navigating app. I'm stuck considering the same option.
    iPhone 4s 32GB /The New iPad 64GB AT&T LTE
    @canadu
    http://canadu.posterous.com
    iPhone Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by loudrims_inc View Post
    im looking at it now, so after 30 days, i have to purchase it again?
    No, you don't. The application continues to function, but you lose the 3D map view and voice prompts. You only need to pay an additional $2.99 when you need those features. For me, that's probably only once or twice per year.
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    iPhone Guru

Global Posts
    1,631 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    No, you don't. The application continues to function, but you lose the 3D map view and voice prompts. You only need to pay an additional $2.99 when you need those features. For me, that's probably only once or twice per year.
    oooo wonderful, i think im going to use this one for now

Q: So without the 3d Map view and voice prompts, the nav is useless, correct?
    Blk iPhone 4 32GB

10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iPhone Guru

Global Posts
    1,631 Global Posts
    iOS Version

ok so i have another Q...

When i use the app to go from the US to Canada...will i be charged data roaming when im in Canada?? <<< Because i still will need to use it!!
    Blk iPhone 4 32GB

iPhone Newbie

oooo wonderful, i think im going to use this one for now

Q: So without the 3d Map view and voice prompts, the nav is useless, correct?
    No - it works like the google maps application and provides some other functionality.
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    iPhone Guru

Global Posts
    1,631 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by rokamortis View Post
    No - it works like the google maps application and provides some other functionality.
    Cool...i bought it and tried it out and i like it, i have no complaints, its cheap, simple, and it works great...what more can i ask!?? Thanks!!!!
    Blk iPhone 4 32GB

iPhone Newbie

I like it too. I never could justify spending a lot of money on a GPS app as I would rarely use it but always wanted one just in case I would need it. This is a good solution for people like me. Only purchase the months when we need it and the maps and POI are always updated.
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    iPhone Guru

Global Posts
    1,631 Global Posts
    iOS Version

ok i have another Q i been wanting to ask about this "GPS Drive" app...When i get into Canada while using this app, will i be charged data roaming?
    Blk iPhone 4 32GB

iPhone Nanite

Thanks I'll try that as well. I was going to get the TomTom app but $100 is pretty steep.
  16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  
    iPhone Guru

Global Posts
    1,631 Global Posts
    iOS Version

BUMP!! Does anyone know the answer to my post#14???? I am leaving tomorrow morning and dont want any surprises!!! Thanks in advance!!
    Blk iPhone 4 32GB

iPhone Newbie

Thanks for the heads up on Motion X Drive....I downloaded it, looks like a real good app
    iPhone Newbie

BUMP!! Does anyone know the answer to my post#14???? I am leaving tomorrow morning and dont want any surprises!!! Thanks in advance!!
    how big is this program? if its small than, i have a feeling it needs data to download the maps... so most likely you wil incurr some roaming charges..

i am using navigon, and love it.. its a big program 1.3gb.. but thats because it has all the maps in north america preloaded into your iphone.

edit:

ok just checked.. its only 8.9mb.. and it states that it is always up to date data for you bla bla.. so in other words it does use data.

so once you cross the border when your iphone starts using the gps program than it will be using roaming data..

you have couple options..

1st : call your service provider and add a roaming data package.. which my friend did when he came from san fran to toronto canada to visit..

2nd : with the amount of data the gps drive going to cost you . you might as well buy navigon..
    Last edited by WoNGsTeR; 10-28-2009 at 06:09 PM.
    iPhone Newbie

ok i have another Q i been wanting to ask about this "GPS Drive" app...When i get into Canada while using this app, will i be charged data roaming?
    this app uses online maps so it needs a data connection
    you will have a few surprises if use abroad
    get navigon or tomtom; those have the maps stored on the phone
    iPhone Guru

Global Posts
    4,466 Global Posts

I am driving from NJ to Canada next week and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for me?? Thank you

I need something that works well and doesnt cost too much...anyone?

Note: A GPS app with US and Canada Maps
    Use the AT&T Navigator. It is full featured and only cost $10 per month. I recommend a BT A2DP headset to make it easy to hear but it is not necessary.
    Thanks for ending the exclusivity, Steve. it is about time.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

Copilot Live is on sale for 20 dollars this weekend. Seems reasonable for the price and what you get. Plus it stores the maps on your phone for us and canada so you dont need data to run. Anyone have this? I am seriously considering the purchase.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,161 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Now that (for a very limited time) TomTom and Navigon are the same price, is one better than the other? The thing I hear that I don't like about Navigon is that it does not provide the directions in a list type format. Other than that, it seems the two are very close in terms of most used features. I've also read that TomTom's POI index is a little more complete. I can see that being a plus, especially when in areas I'm not familiar with.
    --
    applejosh
    Present: iPhone5 32GB AT&T, iPad Air 64GB Verizon, early 2011 MBP
    iPhone Guru

Global Posts
    4,466 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by applejosh View Post
    Now that (for a very limited time) TomTom and Navigon are the same price, is one better than the other? The thing I hear that I don't like about Navigon is that it does not provide the directions in a list type format. Other than that, it seems the two are very close in terms of most used features. I've also read that TomTom's POI index is a little more complete. I can see that being a plus, especially when in areas I'm not familiar with.
    Having paid full price for TomTom, including the Car Kit, and being a satisfied customer, I can only envy any one who can get it for seventy cents on my dollar.
    Thanks for ending the exclusivity, Steve. it is about time.