Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Guru

1,522 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,608 Global Posts

Default Review: Fountain Pen

Fountain Pen, by JinHee Park
    $.99, ****

• Adds interesting element to drawing and memo pad

• Non-artistic people may have difficult time getting good results

Fountain pen attempts to take the concept of a note pad or memo pad, and brings a new drawing implement to the table. Rather than using a "brush", Fountain Pen attempts to re-create the unique and interesting effect of drawing with an actual fountain pen.

As with many drawing programs, there are a number of options available - changing pen size, color, erasing, "undoing" the last pen stroke, etc. However, as with a fountain pen, the actual pen stroke is going to be influenced by the speed of the pen - in this case, how fast you move your finger when drawing a line. Move it quickly, the line is thin - slow things down and your line gets thicker. Using this technique it is theoretically possible to create all kinds of unique and interesting drawings.

Assuming you are artistic. I ran into the same problem with this app that I have with a lot of other drawing apps. I just can't get the vision in my head to the paper in a cohesive fashion. However, that is probably more an issue of my own than an issue due to the app or the tools it provides.

When you are finished with a drawing, you can save it to your album, or you can save it to twitpic. Unfortunately there is no direct way to email a finished drawing, but you can always do that through the iPhone photo album.

All in all, this is a fun, easy to use app for drawing
    . In the right hands (presumably not mine) it should be possible to create all sorts of interesting artwork. There aren't a lot of filters, effects, or graphics manipulation in this app - it is all about the artwork itself. There is a lite version to try, or you can buy the full version for $.99. Three and a half out of five stars.

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
    ** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
    *** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
    **** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
    ***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating.