Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    1,608 Global Posts

Default Review: SimplyTweet

SimplyTweet, by MotionObj
    $4.99, ****

Pros:

• Push notifications
    • Lots of features and options
    • Easy to use

Cons:
    • "More" menu is complicated
    • Options are in settings
    • Some bugs

I am not as big a Twitter user as some here, but I have started using it (@skeetobite) and I find it entertaining. Having said that, sometimes finding a twitter client to use is more complicated than using Twitter itself! Previously I was using Tweetie, but now I have started using SimplyTweet.

SimplyTweet has an impressive features list. Aside from the normal options (retweeting, searches, etc) is also features push notifications, so you can get instant notice when you receive a mention or a DM. You can also post video and pictures, you can do a local search, you can change screen appearances, you can use your Twitter contacts to input a username...the list goes on and on.

In mind mind, however, simplicity is the key. I want a client that is easy to use, easy to make changes, and easy to read. SimplyTweet delivers on two and a half of those features. It is easy to use, with five basic buttons on the bottom - friends, mentions, messages, search, and "more". The first four buttons are obvious, you can look at messages (which can automatically be threaded if you want).

The last option "more" presents a long list of other features - things like "your account", favorites, trends, go to user, photos, public, notes, blocked, etc. The list itself is a little unwieldy, and I wish you could modify it as needed - I hardly ever look at trends, for example, so I wish I could get rid of that. You can modify what the four buttons are - so if you want your account accessible instead of the "search" option, you can do that.

Using SimplyTweet is very easy as well. Simply tap the new tweet button, and start typing. You can input a picture, video, geotag, you can input other people from your Twitter contacts, and you can automatically shorten the text or URLs. A lot of these features are pretty standard on some twitter clients, so it is nice to see them hear.

Reading message is easy as well. New tweets are marked with a blue circle, and when the scroll past the screen it vanishes. So that way, even if you leave, unread tweets are still "new". If you have any mentions or messages, that are marked with badges (and also on the main icon). Push notifications lets you know when you get a mention or message as well.

One drawback is that the settings are found in the settings menu (on the iPhone) not within the app itself. I generally like preferences and settings to be in the app, just because I find it easier in the long run. There are also a few bugs (which the programmers have said will be fixed in the next release), such as not being able to see your entire list of followers.

All in all, I find SimplyTweet to be a Twitter client that does everything I am looking for, and then some. I want something simple, easy to use, and with push notifications - and SimplyTweet delivers. At $4.99, it is on the higher end of the Twitter clients, but they do have a free version you can try. Four out of five stars, due mostly to the bugs and some of the ways you have to change settings.

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
    ** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
    *** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
    **** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
    ***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating.
    iPhone Newbie

a little expensive
    MrP
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    433 Global Posts

I like parts of it- but it seems very slow compared to other Twitter apps- especially with the saved views.