MotionX Drive

Minhala

Aug 27, 2009
Visit site
Anyone tried this? Figures, I *just* bought MotionX GPS a few weeks ago, had I known this was coming I would have waited. Grrrrr.... One thing I don't like is that the voice guidance is an in-app purchase, and apparently you only find out how much that is after you buy the app. I love the MotionX GPS app though, they seem to do a great job on their apps.

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Well Motion X GPS and Motion X Drive are two different things really. I mean essentially nav apps, but with varying purposes. Personally, this app will get a lot of the people who, for less of a better term, are TOO cheap to buy the better nav apps. I own Navigon, its the best app I own. I tRIed Motion Drive, and it is what it is, its 2.99. Heck, CoPilot is better and copilot stinks IMO. I'd rather have Navigon with 3d maps and tts included, then paying $25 a year every year. I just pay Navigon once. I dont need the traffic feature navigon is adding, but that I believe is a one time in app purchase, not yearly like Motion Drive. Plus, the icon for Motion Drive is crazy loud(meaning to crazy and off colored for my home screen taste lol)

Minhala

Aug 27, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the input on the apps. Navigon is simply out of the question for me right now. This would be more as a backup to the Garmin I have in the car now. I have to agree that I've seen better icons. I personally don't like when they put "banners" like "Free", "Lite" and "Pro" on icons. They just did that with my Twitbird Pro icon and as soon as I get time I'm gonna swap it out for the old icon.

SaberSerene

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the input on the apps. Navigon is simply out of the question for me right now. This would be more as a backup to the Garmin I have in the car now. I have to agree that I've seen better icons. I personally don't like when they put "banners" like "Free", "Lite" and "Pro" on icons. They just did that with my Twitbird Pro icon and as soon as I get time I'm gonna swap it out for the old icon.

Glad to hear the banner is coming down.

MGTrader

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Love this App

I have Navigon - which I love. Picked this app up yesterday and absolutely love it. It definitely has shortcomings compared to Navigon (no voice to text, maps not nearly as nice looking, need for cell tower (however you can cache maps which helps)

But, it blows away Navigon in several areas - most notably in POI's and ease of Search. I was trying to navigate to a store about 30 minutes from my house. Its been there for 5 years. It wasn't in Navigon's POI's. So I looked up the address and actually added it to my contacts. I tried to load the map from contacts but Navigon got confused and tried to take me to a train station in a different town. i tried it again after putting the zip code into my contacts. Navigon still tried to send me to the wrong place. It wasn't until I typed in the address did Navigon find it. That process took about 10 minutes.

In MotionX Drive, I just typed in the name in the Search function and it found it immediately. It took only seconds.

Drive has a gorgeous UI and is really simple to use. I love it and will use it for Search and POI's and for a back up to Navigon if needed. It's just a really nice app. If they add voice to text and several more features, it might actually become my favorite GPS app. Time will tell. Check it out.

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I have Navigon - which I love. Picked this app up yesterday and absolutely love it. It definitely has shortcomings compared to Navigon (no voice to text, maps not nearly as nice looking, need for cell tower (however you can cache maps which helps)

But, it blows away Navigon in several areas - most notably in POI's and ease of Search. I was trying to navigate to a store about 30 minutes from my house. Its been there for 5 years. It wasn't in Navigon's POI's. So I looked up the address and actually added it to my contacts. I tried to load the map from contacts but Navigon got confused and tried to take me to a train station in a different town. i tried it again after putting the zip code into my contacts. Navigon still tried to send me to the wrong place. It wasn't until I typed in the address did Navigon find it. That process took about 10 minutes.

In MotionX Drive, I just typed in the name in the Search function and it found it immediately. It took only seconds.

Drive has a gorgeous UI and is really simple to use. I love it and will use it for Search and POI's and for a back up to Navigon if needed. It's just a really nice app. If they add voice to text and several more features, it might actually become my favorite GPS app. Time will tell. Check it out.

I think they use different POI sources, so that may be the difference. However POI's IMO, on my navigation isnt a win or lose. I just need point a. to b. I do however understand the gripes w/ Navigons or any GPS' POI's. People do need that.

Rich

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I just picked up MotionX Drive a couple of days ago. So far it's a great application, especially for $2.99! I don't often travel to locations that I'm not all that familiar with. Because of this, spending +/- $100 on a GPS application just isn't feasible (also, I think $10/month for AT&T's GPS app is just plain stupid!). However, a one time fee of $2.99, and then another $2.99 for 30 days of voice guidance only when needed, seems perfect.

The one issue that I'm questioning so far is the ability to use 3D maps. Prior to activating the 30 days of free voice guidance, I was unable to locate the option to enable 3d maps. I figured it was buried in the settings somewhere and didn't take the time to find it since I was already on the road when I purchased the app. A short time later I activated the voice guidance, which also seemed to activate 3D maps. I still haven't looked into it, so I guess I'll find out if the two features are linked together when my 30 days runs out.

MGTrader

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Rich,
3d maps and allso Sim of trip route is only available with $2.99 per month voice guidance. I'll probably pay the $24 for the year when my 30 days free use is up, and not sweat it. I emailed them per TTS and live traffic. The guy who answered said that he has no idea if these features were going to be added.

jay2five

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
The voice guidance is free for the first 30 days of purchase. The GPS gets the job done. A few things it lacks are Text To Speech Street names, Landscape mode, and perhaps Ipod music fader when Voice Guidance is in use.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner